Nixon considered using nukes in Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

developing contingency military plans
    Why do you guys always get worked up over this?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Nixon considered using nukes in Vietnam

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      Really? Nothing in the article suggests that.
      Morris, Lake and Robinson, yes. (Interesting that Lake went on to be Clinton's NSA.) Nixon? Nothing there except that he wrote the whole thing off shortly after October 2, which is the earliest date the article gives for him having any awareness of the plan. Nothing states the document he received discussed nukes - it's a separate document from the Morris, Lake and Robinson one. Kissinger? Not surprising. I could see ol' Super K with a cowboy hat riding one down.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Why do you guys always get worked up over this?
        To give O2s something to get worked up about?
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I imagine Cambodia would have taken it badly, since they gave refuge to the North (even though they proclaimed neutrality; and the USA would stop at the border).
          So there were no American bombing raids and incursions into Cambodian teritory?

But nuking Ratanakiri wouldnt have mattered much, the area is sparsely populated and most that didnt get killed by US carpetbombing of villages had allready started moving west.

Comment

It should be noted that while the bombing of Cambodia continued after Operation Menu ended in August of 1969,
            Well after the war was under way. Regardless, military leaders were never given full authority to achieve objectives, which was the whole problem in Vietnam.
            No, "take and secure Hanoi", for instance.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well after the war was under way. Regardless, military leaders were never given full authority to achieve objectives, which was the whole problem in Vietnam.
              True, the biggest single mistake made by the politicians in the war, they basicly send the troops in with one hand tied against their back.

Comment

Exactly right.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

We were a lot closer to using them in Korea/China than Vietnam. For one thing, Vietnam did not have significant support from China [I'd not heard they had any worth mentioning, in fact...] and using them against China would be a more realistic use of the weapons; we wouldn't have been using them against Korea for Korea's sake, but for China's [as China was becoming a world power and threatening to develop nukes at this point].
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

They most certainly did have support from China.

Comment

That should have been "take and secure Hanoi from exprected counter-attacked by millions of Red Chinese soldiers with probable involvement from the Soviets as well, such as a counter thrust into West Berlin."

Comment

o give O2s something to get worked up about?
                        Common, just pointing out the nonissue

They most certainly did have support from China.
                        Orders of magnitude less than NK, they did go to war with each not long after we were gone.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                          Orders of magnitude less than NK, they did go to war with each not long after we were gone.
                          And had their arses handed to them.
                          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

And this is important, why? What I see is that the K-man reminded these guys to include nukes as an aspect of their planning -- probably more related to intervention by either Communist major power than as a Nam-only alternative. This would be a smart move, not a news-breaking revelation.

At that time I favored intervention into the North (or get the hell out). However, in view of the corrupt, absurd Government in the South, how would we have administered the North if we won? Post-operative learning courtesy of Iraq -- don't take what you don't want.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                            X