Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got admitted to a college CS undergrad program ; Veterans , tell me what it's like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got admitted to a college CS undergrad program ; Veterans , tell me what it's like

I've just secured admission into the Maharashtra Institute of Technology ( ranked 53rd in the country ( out of more than 8,000 universities ) , and first in its city ) , in the Bachelor of Engineering program , undergraduate . I am , of course , delighted , because this is the top college Pune , which I was aiming for .

In case anyone from India is here , let me tell you that I got 187.5 out of 540 marks in the All India Engineering Entrance Examination , which gave me a nationwide rank of 25,577 . This puts me in the 96.990941176th percentile nationwide ( around 8,50,000 people appear for this examination ( yes , in India , the numbers are huge , and the competetion is a bit fierce ) ) .

So anyway - what can the veterans of comp. sci. undergrad programs tell me about it ?

Any pieces of advice ? Any experiences you'd like to share ? How were your college days ?

Wow... 53rd in India. Top notch.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

@ joncha

congrats with your admission
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

@ Joncha

I don't get it . I really can't understand whether you being sarcastic or not . But from the point of view of an Indian , for whom education in the USA or Europe is unaffordable , this is one of the better things that could happen .

Comment

I was congratulating you on your success. What's not to get?
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

That remark of yours could have been construed as sarcasm . .

Comment

Congrats.

But get control of those commas, ASAP.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Btw, what's "Pune"?

Edit: Ah, I see that it's a city in India.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis

@ joncha

congrats with your admission
                  Thank you .

Originally posted by DanS

Congrats.

But get control of those commas, ASAP.
                  Thanks , and at the commas . I've realised that I write this way because of the way we write in Marathi and Hindi .

Comment

If you don't mind, how much does that university cost? I'm curious.

It's a public university?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Btw, what's "Pune"?

Edit: Ah, I see that it's a city in India.
                      Pune is one of the four or five educational hubs of the country ( the others being Bangalore , Hyderabad , and Mumbai ) .

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                        That remark of yours could have been construed as sarcasm . .
                        You need to get over that cynicism of yours. It's really an ugly personality trait to have.

Comment

Just stay away from the evil occult groups that might want to recruit you.

Congrats on your accomplishments, though.

( yes , in India , the numbers are huge , and the competetion is a bit fierce ) )
                          There is also people being persecuted and decided against due to the caste system. Although the caste system is illegal, it still exists psychologically. I hear that some of the people from the higher status castes get prejudiced against due to old grudges. Would you say this is at least somewhat correct for some cases?
                          Last edited by Lodi; August 1, 2006, 12:32.
                          "Truth against the world" - Eire

Comment

2nd in the US

Congrats

Comment

Does that city have a distinctively tart aroma you're fond of? A lot of people I know said they only went to college for the Pune-tang.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X