No announcement yet.

This headline is funny. "Fox agrees to settle sexual harassment lawsuit in NY"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This headline is funny. "Fox agrees to settle sexual harassment lawsuit in NY"

The article is about the network gettng their act together, and that's a good thing. It's just that the headline made me laugh.

Fox agrees to settle sexual harassment lawsuit in NY

By Christine Kearney
    Mon Jul 31, 6:06 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fox News has agreed to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC, on behalf of former female employees who said a vice president routinely cursed and denigrated women in the workplace.

The settlement, submitted for approval in Manhattan federal court on Monday, includes a total payout of $225,000 to four women who said Joe Chillemi, vice president in the advertising and promotions department, created a hostile work environment.

A spokeswoman for Fox News said: "We have denied the claims and allegations in the action and subsequent settlement. Do the math. This is hardly a win for the EEOC."

The women alleged Chillemi used demeaning words to describe women, including women who were pregnant.

The case and settlement showed recognition of harassment in the workplace "beyond coming onto women," EEOC attorney Michael Ranis said.

"In this case there was hostility toward women by using language and sexual imagery, which is just as important as the more well-known types of sexual harassment," Ranis said.

The action stemmed from complaints by former employee Kim Weiler, who left Fox in March 2004 after working in the promotions department for 13 months. She claimed she was forced to leave after informing the network of discrimination, the complaint said.

The complaint said Fox regularly assigned women primarily to freelance positions with less benefits and job security instead of full staff positions, and Chillemi, who still works for Fox in the same position, told women to "be a man."

In one instance, Chillemi answered a question about whether he would hire a man or woman, "of course I would pick the man. A woman would most likely get pregnant and leave," according to the complaint.

The settlement includes an agreement by Fox to give all employees discrimination training, which will start next year.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I see nothing particularly funny about that headline.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I was wondering if it was just me...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hilarious.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

It could be seen as suggesting they'd prefer it be settled in Ouagadougou, but whadda ya gonna do. New York it is.

Comment

Headline on CNN:

"Castro hands power to brother during surgery"
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Fox? A good looking woman? What dullards. Go back to your ipods and just forget it.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Fox is the debil.
                "Truth against the world" - Eire

Comment

Hello there! I see you are discussing Fox News Channel. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

For years and years, Bill O'Reilly has been a beacon of light and truth for the American people. I'm sure liberals would take exception to the fact that women belong in the kitchen, and should be seen and not heard. The right to demean ladies is given under the 2nd amendment and God, as well as e pluribus unum. Our forefathers died so Fox executives could treat women as objects. Only traitors and liberals want their sacrifice to be in vain.
                  RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

Sloww really reads into things...

still, is sexual harassment that given two equally qualified persons, one being a man and one being a woman, that one would hire the man over the woman because he feared her getting pregnant?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Yes.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Denigrated? Is that calling someone a "******"? Or, not calling?
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

den·i·grate (dn-grt)
                          tr.v. den·i·grat·ed, den·i·grat·ing, den·i·grates
                          1. To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame.
                          2. To disparage; belittle: The critics have denigrated our efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                            Yes.
                            No. It is discrimination on the basis of gender, which is also illegal.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Close enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X