Billionaire wants EU to fund Google competitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To illustrate:

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

OK, that's as good of an explanation as any. But I have to admit that I don't fully understand that attitude. Even if it's the state's responsibility, I may feel an affinity for the institution and want to contribute to create or perpetuate something special.

In the US, even though private schools have the biggest endowments, public schools also have very large endowments. Consider the University of Texas system, with an $11 billion endowment, for instance.

Colleges and universities endowments in 2011 from Harvard University to University of Virginia.

In any event, it doesn't seem like a feeling of direct responsibility is the foremost in Knight's mind. It's not as if his $105 million gift will make or break Stanford's $12 billion endowment.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Dan, one thing I do notice is that Americans seem to share a much greater love for their alma maters than our European brothers and sisters. Part of it may be big time college sports, which tend to lead to a sense of belonging, which don't really exist in Europe because they have youth teams run by professional clubs.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I agree with that, Imran. College football is very important at Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, and USC, for instance. Basketball is big at Duke, for instance. 30 years later, when the students have gone on to lucrative careers, both the men and women alumns are still die-hard fans.

The best seats are apportioned by how much you give to the university. But the students always get seats.
          Last edited by DanS; August 2, 2006, 13:11.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

However, $105m is a significant amount compared to the annual earnings FROM that endowment ... maybe $1b? A good part of which goes to paying for financial aid and professors' salaries... Alumni donations are a HUGE part of college and university finances, evidenced by the huge industry that exists in alumni cold calling ...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You would think that the big student strikes at European universities would foster at least of bit of comradery.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                However, $105m is a significant amount compared to the annual earnings FROM that endowment ... maybe $1b? A good part of which goes to paying for financial aid and professors' salaries... Alumni donations are a HUGE part of college and university finances, evidenced by the huge industry that exists in alumni cold calling ...
                In 2004, about $500 million was given to the Stanford endowment. So even though Knight's gift is big, it doesn't even make or break a year's annual take.

I see what you mean, though.

Comment

It's not because your individual gift doesn't make or break a university that you can't feel a certain duty to help your alma-mater.

Imran: I think whole experience of going to uni in the US is different compared to Europe (or at least in Belgium). Or maybe it's a different between private and public uni. Going to uni is almost seen as an extension of school around here, it's much easier to get into, it costs a lot less and you drop out easily as well.
                  Or maybe it's the difference between public and private: do alumnis give substantial donations to public unis as well in the US?
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

See the list linked above. 4 of the top 20 university endowments are for public universities (10 of the top 30, about half of the top 50): Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, and USC. Public schools didn't start the endowment push as early as the private schools did, however.

Comment

Some public schools do get a LOT of money, especially big time college football schools, where you have a good deal of public university powers. People that go to Texas or Michigan and feel a strong tie to the college football team, will give money. I got someone from my office that went to Penn State University and he travels up there every once a in while to watch a game.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                        Why don'tcha branch off. create a series of new insitutions whose sole purpose is educating, concentrating, and tapping the best and brightest in society, and call them 'Newniversities'...totally different from universities which can remain Equality Factories churning out degrees.
                        We basically have that in France, in the Grandes Ecoles. They're very selective (for some, the discrimination point is culture, for others it is money, though all claim it is talent)

In France, pretty much everybody agrees that the system has terrible weaknesses. These units are too small to provide any significant contribution to research. They also reproduce a tight-knit elite, and thus contribute to the lack of social mobility here. Finally, these units being small, they're famous in the country, but they're mostly unknown abroad. I've been at a Grande Ecole that has 200 students a year (approx 1000 students total). Despite the high level of education, it is bound to be much less famous internationally than, say, Harvard and its 20,000 students.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Alumni groups are important to most big public or private unis.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well.. this would make sense except it's happening the wrong way. Can Google be challenged? Sure. However, it would happen bottom up, by someone with a simple idea, developing it and basically like many good things happen in this industry. Not by someone saying, well we need to do this and invest lots of money in it right now, I don't know how it will happen but blah let's do it. Those would be the opening statements for the most expensive flop of the year, and they usually are.

It needs to be self-driven. Not like this.. like this, it will never succeed and we just wasted so much money on.. a flop that we could see coming from miles away..

Like someone pointed out, he's a billionaire, he should fund it himself then if he so likes the idea. And if EU funds it, EU will manage it some way, and that's just asking for .. a failure. These things just never work like this... these things are made with innovation and passion, not by some idiots throwing money at it.

So, this is bound to fail.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              Well.. this would make sense except it's happening the wrong way. Can Google be challenged? Sure. However, it would happen bottom up, by someone with a simple idea, developing it and basically like many good things happen in this industry. Not by someone saying, well we need to do this and invest lots of money in it right now, I don't know how it will happen but blah let's do it. Those would be the opening statements for the most expensive flop of the year, and they usually are.

It needs to be self-driven. Not like this.. like this, it will never succeed and we just wasted so much money on.. a flop that we could see coming from miles away..

Like someone pointed out, he's a billionaire, he should fund it himself then if he so likes the idea. And if EU funds it, EU will manage it some way, and that's just asking for .. a failure. These things just never work like this... these things are made with innovation and passion, not by some idiots throwing money at it.

So, this is bound to fail.
                              Your description sounds earily like Airbus
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X