computer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer help

Whenever I run a high-memory-usage fullscreen app (e.g. Civ4) and alt-tab out, Firefox and a lot of other programs have trouble scrolling. I scroll down and it visibly redraws the page from the top down - it takes about a second or two for each notch on the scroll wheel. I have 2 GB of memory, so that should not be a problem. What causes this?

f.e. I'm running Warlords, FF and iTunes right now, the Task Manager says I have a PF of 769 MB (I assume this refers to total memory footprint rather than the file on disk, since 769 looks right for the sum of all the numbers in the "mem usage" column, and as above I have 2 GB RAM), and I'm encountering the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      f.e. I'm running Warlords, FF and iTunes right now, the Task Manager says I have a PF of 769 MB (I assume this refers to total memory footprint rather than the file on disk, since 769 looks right for the sum of all the numbers in the "mem usage" column, and as above I have 2 GB RAM), and I'm encountering the problem.
      PF (page file) usage is how much of your swap file is being used.

How long after after alt-tabbing does the scroll issues dioes FF begin to scroll normally? Also, is iTunes stuttering at all?

What I suspect is happening is your system is doing a LOT of paging and this consumes CPU resources.

EDIT

Have you done a spy-ware scan yet?
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Why would Windows be using the hard drive when I've got twice the RAM necessary to hold everything? Especially since 769 MB would mean it's not using the RAM at all and using the hard drive for everything.

Comment

Why the hell would Windows be using the hard drive when I've got twice the RAM necessary to hold everything? Especially since 769 MB would mean it's not using the RAM at all and using the hard drive for everything.
          Because it can.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

I just turned the page file off, so I'm going to reboot and test your proposition...

Comment

What version of firefox are you using ? The 1.5.x doesn't exactly behaves sane.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I just turned the page file off, so I'm going to reboot and test your proposition...

Useful guides for Apple, Linux, and Microsoft platforms.

Comment

Again, with 2 GB RAM I shouldn't need a pagefile. Even Oblivion rarely runs over half a gig.

What version of firefox are you using ? The 1.5.x doesn't exactly behaves sane.

It's not that, since FF is only consuming ~49 MB after I rebooted. And since I've never seen it go above about 200 MB, it also isn't the culprit.

So, after rebooting, the problem still occurs once I launch Warlords. Task Manager reports PF as 586 MB, so I think it's referring to the total memory footprint rather than the size of the page file on the HD (since that's off).

Comment

Could it be something related to DirectX? I think this never occured while running KOTOR (that had its own slew of problems running in the background), which IIRC runs on OpenGL.

Comment

zomfg windows suckz

Comment

Can I play Warlords on a Mac?

Comment

Technically, yes. You just have to run shoddy software to do so.

Comment

Can I play Warlords on a Mac under OS X?
                            Happy?

Comment

Also, if I scroll down page too fast the computer sometimes beeps.

Comment

Working...
                              X