No announcement yet.

Power Surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when else are power surges really that big of a problem except for lightning? its like hurricane insurance that only protects against water damage, or only against wind damage.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      Isn't that the norm today ? I haven't seen a lowvoltage air line for years and there are only a few highvoltage that isn't buried yet here.
      No, that isn't the norm today. In most US cities, the law requires that low-voltage power lines are buried for new construction. In some suburbs (like some of the D.C. suburbs), the law requires that low-voltage power lines are buried for new construction.

But the remaining 75% of the US population (made up stat) is served by overhead low-voltage power lines. It's similar in other parts of the first world, like Japan.

Also, almost all of the high-voltage power lines are overhead, since it's more efficient to transport power that way.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I know that US is on average more thinly populated, but isn't most americans living in urban areas ? Just as the case is in europe.

The only reason to have overhead (I assume that you mean above ground) highvoltage lines is that it's cheaper to build. There are no gain in power loss or like.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Most Americans (~70%) live in urban areas, but those areas are really suburban. The closest analog that Europe has is parts of the Netherlands, AFAIK.

Regarding power loss on the high-voltage lines that are buried, I think you are mistaken. At least that's the reason given by our power companies about why they don't bury their lines.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I guess that you never have visited Denmark or for that matter the rest of europe - Pretty much is more suburban than urban.

I think that your power companies are fooling you. It is more complicated to lay an underground cable and it costs more, but it doesn't have greater losses if done rigth (witch of course costs). On the other side, it's way more stable and secure than airborne.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I guess that you never have visited... the rest of europe
              I have.

Comment

Well, then you must know that europe is mainly suburban - that is if we have the same definition of such.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Lost an entire computer to that kind of thing once, apparently the "wrong kind of electricity" had entered the machine and every single component but the hard drive was rendered useless.
                  It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

that is if we have the same definition of such
                    No, it's different.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

No, it's different.
                      Well, then we have a problem. European urban areas are typically max 7 floors and suburban areas are single family housings on 1000 to 2000 sqm.

What is your definition ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        I think you would have to disconnect everything.

The utlimate solution is to bury the power lines. It may sound drastic, but when you're losing thousands of dollars of equipment, it's a good idea. I don't know how far from the house these surges happen, though.
                        Burying power lines does nothing to prevent surges except that their would be less chance of a direct lightning strike on the aboveground lines themselves. I have underground power lines BTW.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          Aren't decent surge protectors garanteed to protect your equipment up to a certain amount?

(IRC, surge protectors don't protect you after a couple of years, because of the wear and tear.)

I wondering about his lately, since we had a lot of thunderstorms and lightning recently. What do you do when there's lightning? Close you PC? Disconnect everything?
                          Different surge protectors carry different levels of protection and insurance. Mine carry a $100K insurance and cost around $120 each. The kicker is that you have to jump through hoops to get it (and in my case the bill of sale which I dont have anymore).

From my experiences, the only sure way to protect your equipment is to disconnect every line during the storm. Turning them off may help but I lost motherboards, NIC's, and various other circuitboards in PC's and equipment that was off.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            How do you get something like that? Lightning strike?
                            You could have a surge from a transformer malfunction but by far the most common way is via lightning. As near as I can understand it the strike that fried my equipment was close enough that it travelled along the ground and entered various lines into my house that way rather than entering the house via the power lines (since the house surge protector was not blown).

Also the surge was not that powerfull. I fixed my sprinker controller yesterday with a $1 3/4 amp fuse! Which begs the question, why isnt a fuse or circuit breaker standard in all electronics?

Comment

I guess fuses aren't standard because not everybody has these problems. I'm surprised that your wire is buried but you still had the surge. I have lived in the city for about a half-dozen years and haven't had so much as a flicker of the lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X