Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take that Middle East Conflict! Breaking News From Seattle

Violence spills over into the states!

SEATTLE - One person was killed and five other people were wounded by gunshots Friday afternoon at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle and one person was arrested, police said.

All five of the wounded were taken to Harborview Medical Center, where three are listed in critical condition and two are listed in satisfactory condition. One victim was reportedly shot in the stomach, another was a woman is described as 17 weeks pregnant and was shot in an arm.

A SWAT team searched the federation building, looking for any other victims or anyone hiding, Seattle police spokesman Rich Pruitt said, adding investigators were confident that the man they had in custody was the only shooting suspect.

Several witnesses said they saw the man walk up and shoot a woman in the leg on a sidewalk near the building. One witness, who refused to give his name, said that shooting was just outside a nearby Starbucks. There was a small pool of blood outside that coffee shop.

Amy Wasser-Simpson, vice president for planning and community services at the Jewish Federation told The Seattle Times the man then got through security at the building and told staff members: "I'm Muslim-American. I'm angry at Israel," then began shooting.

"A number of staff people heard some popping sounds, then they heard a scream," Wasser-Simpson said. "They escaped out the back door."

One staff member who was shot twice escaped through the back door, Wasser-Simpson said.

Police say the gunman then called 911 from inside the building to say what he had done and where to find him. When police arrived, the gunman surrendered, police say.

Patti Simon was at work at the federation's newspaper on the first floor when she heard screaming, shots and what sounded like furniture crashing on the floor above.

"We heard this horrible screaming on the floor above us and shots," said Simon, 52, who sells advertising at the paper. "We didn't know what was happening."

Simon called up to her co-workers on the second floor, but got no answer, so she called the police and fled the building.

"People got shot, some of our co-workers," Simon said, her voice shaking. "I just got back from Israel and made it out of there a half hour before the rockets started."

Simon said the federation has security in the building.

"Somebody must have lied their way in," Simon said.

Police blocked off several city blocks and evacuated several nearby buildings as they investigated.

Police say they believe the gunman was acting alone and not part of any larger organization.

FBI Special Agent Fred Gutts says on July 21 and 26, the Seattle office sent general warnings to local law enforcement agencies in the state to be on heightened alert around Jewish-related buildings given the hostilities in the Middle East. He said local law enforcement agencies would then do what they deemed appropriate.

Agent Gutts said the FBI had no persons on any watch list as being likely persons to make threats or do harm. He also said there was no specific evidence of any threat against any jewish organization or other target. the warnings were just general.

Seattle Police say they will have a larger presence at area synagogues and other Jewish organizations and are asking other area law enforcements to do the same.
    KOMO 4 TV provides news, sports, weather and local event coverage in the Seattle, Washington area including Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, Kent, Tacoma, Bremerton, SeaTac, Auburn, Mercer Island, Bothell, Shoreline, Lynnwood, Mill Creek and Everett.

I used to live 1 block from there and I work 7 blocks away now. Choppers, cops, stopped busses all in effect on the way home today.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Another tragedy. It sucks when people fall for the extreme polarization, enter into an extremist groupthink, and witness the outsiders as non-human targets.
      "Truth against the world" - Eire

Comment

Clearly, Israel is behind this, trying to gain sympathy for their criminal campaign against the peaceloving people of their neighbouring countries.

Comment

Clearly.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

I'm sure Israel, which has the fifth largest miliitary in the world, can take being verbally bashed.

Comment

I'm sure Israel, which has the fifth largest miliitary in the world

we do?
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

we do?

Of course. It all depends on how you define "world".
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

On cnn they said one of the 6 most powerful armies,-------------------------
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

oh, awesome
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

And with 500 plus nukes too. Don't forget those nice little toys for Samson.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                        Clearly, Israel is behind this, trying to gain sympathy for their criminal campaign against the peaceloving people of their neighbouring countries.

Youre crazy winston. crazy like a fox.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                        X