German WWII carrier Graf Zeppelin found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donegeal
    So it IS possible that they built it thinking that they would evenually need it for a future US invasion.
    I'm with Leo here, some Nazioberlings probably had wet dreams about such an invasion, but practically they couldn't do it. Still, the idea makes a nice PG scn
    Blah

Comment

It would have provided better coverage for the Kreigsmarine to manuver in the North Sea. Remember that in WW1 the German Navy was able to bring the war to the British people for awhile by shelling coastal towns. In the pre-war era some naval romantics may have harbored fond dreams of repeating this glorious episode in the history of German naval prowess with even the possibility of better success. There was a plan to build a respectable fleet of battleships. At the time they didn't really know for certain how much of a menace that aircraft were going to be to ships at sea. Carriers were thought of as providing long range scouting primarily. Anyway, when the war came so early those hopes were dashed.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I always thought the Graf Zeppelin was never actually built--I guess because they never used it in the war. I thought it only existed in WWII games.

Comment

It was never put into service, but yeah, it was laid down and launched in 1938 as St. Leo said.
          Blah

Comment

It was laid down but never completed AFAIK and therefore never able to really weigh anchor and sail off on combat missions.
            AFAIK it wasn´t even able to move by its own power, but had to be towed by other ships
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

A German carrier wouldn't have made one bit of difference in the Atlantic.

Comment

The Bismark would have swept the seas if they had a CAP of modern fighters to kill those torpedo biplanes. No convoy could have faced her guns.

The German navy should have run like hell after dropping off the army in Norway. Inexcusable waste.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Yeah, I guess that Bismarck, Tirpitz, GZ and a bunch of smaller ships could have made some turmoil in the atlantic - especially if they worked together with the wolfpacks.

Fortunatedly Göring didn't like the idea of airforces not under his control so he obstructed the delivery of planes
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Hello there! I see you are discussing Aircraft Carrier. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

Production of this hypothetical aircraft carrier would have taken at least 150 shields and 75 turns, even by the GAO's conservative estimates. Another liberal conspiracy designed to give hard working Americans indigestion.
                    RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

You're losing touch

Comment

It seems that RoboCon is a very lousy Civ player
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Didn't 9/11 change everything?
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                            Didn't 9/11 change everything?
                            No.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Robo's got a virus.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

IIRC the Germans had problems with landing aircraft on the ship. The Brits, Americans and Japs had been experimenting with carriers for nearly twenty years at the time, they had learned through hard experience the fine points of carrier take offs and landings. The German navy had a lot of catching up to do. Furthermore the aircraft they had, Messerschmidts and Heinkels weren't well suited to the type of abuse carrier landings gave to their landing gear. Germany would have needed to develop new types of aircraft to meet the needs of the navy. In Germany, the US and Britain the navies had had their own air arms long enough to have the facilities to do their own development, but the german navy did not. In the end I believe the der Furher refused to approve R & D of carrier aircraft as he realised that there wasn't enough time to develop Germany's surface navy. He believed that a continental land war would suffice to settle the issue.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X