German WWII carrier Graf Zeppelin found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German WWII carrier Graf Zeppelin found

I just saw this in the Paradox forums and think it may interest some people here too. Plus, it's a natural law at poly that any thread having WWII in it goes on forever

Polish navy finds wreck of Graf Zeppelin

‘99.9 percent’ certain Baltic wreckage is Nazi Germany’s only aircraft carrier

WARSAW, Poland - Poland's navy said Thursday that it identified a sunken shipwreck in the Baltic Sea as almost certainly being Nazi Germany's only aircraft carrier, the Graf Zeppelin — a find that promises to shed light on a 59-year-old mystery surrounding the ship's fate.

The Polish oil company Petrobaltic discovered the shipwreck on July 12 on the sea floor about 60 kilometers (38 miles) north of the port city of Gdansk. Suspecting it could be the wreckage of the Graf Zeppelin, the Polish navy sent a survey vessel Tuesday, navy spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Bartosz Zajda said.
    Full (much longer) article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14062541/
    Blah

way cool !!!
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

german aircraft carrier

why? was it just because everybody else was building them?

(did the germans even have aircraft for it? Naval versions of Me 109s and Stukas?)
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It would make a cool dive site. A huge, useless boondoggle. What good is ONE carrier?
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          german aircraft carrier

why? was it just because everybody else was building them?

(did the germans even have aircraft for it? Naval versions of Me 109s and Stukas?)
          Yup. Called Me 109T/Ju 87T for "Träger" (=carrier).

And when we look how the war in the Pacific went, the idea of building carriers rather made sense, just that Germany hadn't the resources to keep a serious navy similar to the UK or even US (which is one reason that the Zeppelin actually never was ready for service).
          Blah

Comment

And when we look how the war in the Pacific went, the idea of building carriers rather made sense,
            It made sense IN THE PACIFIC with sea campaigns being fought over hundreds of miles of open ocean with hundreds of little islands and atols scattered about without pre-existing airfields (or even clear land to build an airfield). In Northern Europe, carriers made no sense. The ONLY practical use I could see of a German carrier was to conduct operations in northern Britain during the Battle of Britain because Me 109s at the time did not have the range for such forays. I don't believe the germans even did that, instead using land-based me 110 fighters from France/Holland and Norway.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Carriers providing air cover for surface vessels and allowing better naval force projection makes sense everywhere, not only in the Pacific. Just remember that the Tirpitz spent most of the war in safe ports because it was well known how the Brits damaged the rudder of the Bismarck with attacks of some old Swordfish planes - coming from the carrier Ark Royal. I bet the Bismarck crew would have welcomed the addition of a carrier and esp. his fighter complement to their force this day.
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                It would make a cool dive site.
                Indeed

Comment

BeBro:

the whole German capital ship thing was a mistake anyway. The only part of the Kriegsmarine that did anything worthy was the u-boat corps.

Comment

well, the scharnhorst and gneisenau story does not agree with you (22 merchant ships sunt in less than 2 months)

Comment

I think Britain started WWII because they were afraid of German navy building.

Discuss

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                        The only part of the Kriegsmarine that did anything worthy was the u-boat corps.
                        Which got slaughtered with ever increasing intensity from 42 on by allied ASW forces.
                        Blah

Comment

Yeah, our subs were cool before that. The same happens to me in HOI2, as British and US ships get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                            It would make a cool dive site. A huge, useless boondoggle.
                            80m. Not reachable for diver noobs like me.
                            "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Do you play vanilla HOi2 or DD? I heard in vanilla sub stacks are able to take out entire fleets, in DD they are more or less worthless against other warships, but good at convoy raiding (more realistic).

Damn if I had known this was developing into a game thread we could have get + 1s in the other games thingie.

Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X