"Transcendence" Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Transcendence" Game Discussion

Is anyone else on the forums playing the freeware space action/RPG Transcendence? I'm hoping there are at least a few, because it's one of the most interesting games I've played and the community for the game on it's official and unofficial forums seems to be rather young and uneducated, yet I'd like to discuss it.

For those who haven't heard of it, Transcendence is best described as a cross between a Rogue-like RPG and Subspace. The graphics are clean and simple, 2-D with a top-down view. It's strictly single-player. You start out by picking one of three types of spaceship, and after that you explore about 30 solar systems, most randomly generated, as you hunt various forms of pirates and enemies (only one alien in the whole game, though), run missions for black markets, military bases, and other groups, and steadily upgrade your spaceship over time.

It's a lot like Rogue-likes due to the huge variety of equipment that can be generated. I've been playing the game obsessively for a few weeks and I'm still finding things I have never seen before, and learning things about the game mechanics that are not immediately obvious (for instance, the various trade goods many seem to be indistinguishable aside from their weight/value ratio and availability, but certain groups will pay more or grant certain valuable favors for certain types of trade goods).

So, has anyone else played it? Have any favorite weapons (my current loadout is an Akari 600 turret, Fusionfire Howitzer, and Red Streikas), or know of any interesting SF references that may have been overlooked?

Other Games for +1

To answer your question: No, but i played another game much like it, i think it was called Spaceport. That was fun, but got boring fast.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I'll definitely give this one a look, sounds interesting. Rogue/Nethack ate up a lot of my time a few years back, and it'll be nice to find a scifi equivalent to play on my cheap laptop while I watch TV.

Anyone know of any good (preferably freeware) crime games? I'm steadily making my way through Richard Stark's Parker novels, and I have an itch to pull of a heist.

BTW, this should be moved to the proper forum.

Comment

Cool. There's one thing interesting about the game I thought I'd mention that's pretty neat if you're into SF.

The maker of the game seems to have made an attempt to keep the science fairly realistic, at least for a space opera type game. The designer has given the exact scale of the game - each pixel is 10,000km and time is compressed so that each second you play the game represents one minute in the game world. Ranges are given in light seconds. The speed of projectiles and ships in the .XML code for the game is given in percentages of the speed of light and lasers move at lightspeed - so a laser travels 108000 pixels in one second, about ten screens.

I don't want to imply that the game's physics are very realistic. I haven't calculated the accelerations involved in the game but they have to be insane, as my gunship can reach it's top speed (.25C I think) in only a couple of seconds, which translates to two minutes. The scale breaks down in close combat because nothing is drawn in scale (otherwise an Earth-like planet would only be 2 pixels across), so planets and stars have diameters far bigger than in reality, and there's the gamey aspects this entails - i.e. spraying a dozen projectiles through an area of space several light seconds across and being sure that one of them is going to intersect your target (because it's hit-detection box is over 100,000 km across). But I think it's neat that the designer cared enough to make his concessions to realism. I also like that it's not a galaxy crawling with aliens...it's not an alien-free setting like Dune, but humans are essentially quarantined within a certain area of space and there's only one alien you'll interact with in the game. It also seems that humans appear to live entirely in space (no indication of planetary surfaces being colonized), which makes a lot of sense - once you have cheap and easy spaceflight and the technology to live indefinitely in space, there's very little reason to colonize planets.

Comment

I played it a fair bit some time back. It was fun and different.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I refuse to post my thoughts on the game until I get +1 for it.
            I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
              Other Games for +1

To answer your question: No, but i played another game much like it, i think it was called Spaceport. That was fun, but got boring fast.
              I reported this post and requested that it be moved to Other Games. Should I just close this one and repost it there instead?

Comment

Only mods can close threads.
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                  I played it a fair bit some time back. It was fun and different.
                  It's been changed quite a bit in the last few revisions (v.95, .96, and .96a), if you haven't played recently you might want to check it out. He's added reactors, rebalanced the armor, made more good mid-high range armor available, and added a lot of armor types and new enemy types.

Comment

I downloaded it and have played it a little, it's been pretty fun so far.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                    X