Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPAA sues guy -- the wrong guy, apparently

Shawn Hogan, Hero

Last November, Shawn Hogan received an unsettling call: A lawyer representing Universal Pictures and the Motion Picture Association of America informed the 30-year-old software developer that they were suing him for downloading Meet the Fockers over BitTorrent. Hogan was baffled. Not only does he deny the accusation, he says he already owned the film on DVD. The attorney said they would settle for $2,500. Hogan declined.

Now he’s embroiled in a surprisingly rare situation – a drawn-out legal fight with the MPAA. The organization and its music cousin, the Recording Industry Association of America, have filed thousands of similar lawsuits between them, but largely because of the legal costs few have been contested and none have gone to trial. This has left several controversies unresolved, including the lawfulness of how the associations get access to ISP records and whether it’s possible to definitively tie a person to an IP address in the age of Wi-Fi.

Hogan, who coded his way to millions as the CEO of Digital Point Solutions, is determined to change this. Though he expects to incur more than $100,000 in legal fees, he thinks it’s a small price to pay to challenge the MPAA’s tactics. “They’re completely abusing the system,” Hogan says. “I would spend well into the millions on this.”

Of course, the MPAA isn’t backing down either. “I hear Mr. Hogan has said, ‘I’m absolutely going to go to trial,’ and that is his prerogative,” says John G. Malcolm, the MPAA’s head of antipiracy. “We look forward to addressing his issues in a court of law.” Look for a jury to weigh in by next summer.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I hope he tears them a new one.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

good for him, MPAA
      "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

I would love to see their evidence.

Why a millionaire would download a pirated copy of a movie he owns on DVD is beyond me.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Looks like the MPAA has chosen to tangle with the wrong guy. This could be SO sweet!

Shawn Hogan, Hero
          QFT!!!
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It would really be nice to see how they got access to the IP addresses.

Lost in this, though, is the fact that piracy IS illegal, and the copyright owners SHOULD be able to sue to protect their copyrights. It's just the heavyhanded BS they use that gets in the way
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Lost in this, though, is the fact that piracy IS illegal, and the copyright owners SHOULD be able to sue to protect their copyrights. It's just the heavyhanded BS they use that gets in the way
              I don't think they should be able to sue at all so long as that means the defendant has to pay their legal fees if they win. The defendants cost of paying for legal fees for both parties is going to be a much much heavier penalty than the crime could possibly justify.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Piracy
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

It be yarrrr and wooo
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If you own a legal copy, what difference would it make even if you did download a pirated copy. You've payed your licensing fee, and U.S. law allows you to make copies of media you have purchased.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

He used bittorrent, i.e., he was uploading.

Comment

They accused him of downloading, not uploading.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sharing is theft!
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            They accused him of downloading, not uploading.
                            No, they accused him of using Bittorrent (i.e. uploading). All of their cases are based on the P2P aspect of the download services.

Comment

The Wired article says downloading, Kuci:

that they were suing him for downloading Meet the Fockers over BitTorrent

Do you have contrary evidence?

Oh, and Hogan . It was only a matter of time before the MPAA accidentally went after a guy with deep pockets who'd be willing to fight it in court.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X