Some Democrats say will shun Maliki speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Democrats say will shun Maliki speech

Well, what have we here? Looks like all the ACS liberals are out of step entirely with their preferred party.

By Vicki Allen
    2 hours, 14 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. congressional Democrats voiced alarm on Tuesday over
    Iraq's denunciation of
    Israel in the Middle East conflict, and some said Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's upcoming address to Congress should be canceled unless he apologizes.

A group of House of Representatives Democrats was circulating a letter to House Speaker
    Dennis Hastert urging the Illinois Republican to secure an apology from Maliki or cancel the address on Wednesday to a joint meeting of Congress.

A number of Senate and House Democrats said they planned to protest Maliki's speech by not attending, or were waiting first to hear if he apologized.

Ron Bonjean, Hastert's spokesman, said there was no intention of canceling Maliki's speech, and he accused Democrats of "political gamesmanship during an election year."

Iraq's U.S.-backed government on Saturday denounced Israel's raids on Lebanon and Gaza. Maliki last week called for "the world to take quick stands to stop the Israeli aggression."

Senate Democratic leaders in a letter asked Maliki to clarify his remarks before addressing Congress. They said his failure to condemn Hizbollah's "aggression and recognize Israel's right to defend itself raise serious questions about whether Iraq under your leadership can play a constructive role in resolving the current crisis and bringing stability to the Middle East."

With more than 2,500 U.S. service members killed in the Iraq conflict, more than 18,000 wounded and more than $300 billion in U.S. tax dollars spent, the Senate Democrats said, "Americans deserve to know whether Iraq is an ally in these fights."

In the House, about 20 Democrats signed the letter to Hastert saying Maliki's speech should be canceled unless he apologizes, citing mounting evidence "that the Iraqi leadership's goals are not in the best interest of the United States, nor the Middle East."

Rep. Nita Lowey (news, bio, voting record), a New York Democrat, said Congress "should not supply a platform for supporters of Hizbollah."

Rep. Joseph Crowley (news, bio, voting record), also of New York, said allowing Maliki "to address a joint session of Congress after he has condemned Israel, our best ally and the only true democracy in the Middle East, sends the wrong message."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Looks like all the ACS liberals are out of step entirely with their preferred party.

I'm a ACS liberal and I don't know wtf you are talking about.
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

I blush for the idiocy of my party.

Comment

Then you don't read.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

If they're truely a free democratic government then they should be able to say whatever they want and not just dance on our puppet strings. I'll admit it's a bit silly to take that stand, but democratic governments are silly by definition.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Once again, democrats prove they are morons.

Israel is widely loathed in the entire Arab world, and the current aggression won't make it any more popular. The American stance on the issue is completely alien to the Arab street.

Maliki defending Israel in a speech that will be known domestically, would have a domestic effect similar as if Bush suddenly became a Hezbollah-apologist.
            It would only reinforce the idea that Maliki is just a puppet of the United States, an enemy to the Arab cause. If there was still a little hope for the Iraqi government being relevant, a pro-Israeli stance would completely achieve to kill it.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Maliki now has his back pressed to the wall, trying not to get bung holed from both sides of the issue.
              Odds are he fails.
              Last edited by SlowwHand; July 25, 2006, 16:29.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Then you don't read.
                Of course not, I'm a liberal, remember?
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Maybe he needs tp for his bung hole.
                  B♭3

Comment

You may not read, but I KNOW you look at the pictures.

Comment

I think these particular Congressmen are more concerned about Jewish votes in their own districts than the bigger picture. Morons isn't really the right word. I'm pretty sure they understand the implications, but care more about getting reelected in November than other potential fallout.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Naturally, al-Maliki will criticize Israel - he's prime minister of a predominantly Arab country.

However, Democrats are smart to protest his speech to Congress; their protest will play well with Israel supporters in Northeastern congressional districts where Democrats are trying to unseat incumbent Republicans.
                        ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Let me understand. To appease voters who oppose them, they'll take a position that will alienate the voters that put them in office?

Oh that's a good plan.

Comment

It appears that you're unfamiliar with politics outside of Texas.

I'm talking about Northeastern districts which are presently represented by moderate Republicans, even though those districts vote Democratic in presidential elections. Because there are so many angry Democrats in the Northeast, those Republican incumbents are very vulnerable and protesting al-Maliki's speech will help Democrats unseat them.
                            ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Let me understand. To appease voters who oppose them, they'll take a position that will alienate the voters that put them in office?
                              Those who oppose Israel are rare in the US, and rarely democrats. Look third party instead.

Heck, look at some of our resident democrats:
                              MTG: definitely on Israel's side
                              Sava: definitely on Israel's side
                              I don't remember the stance of any other Apolyton democrat on the current aggression against Lebanon.

Besides, I can think of only one American who has strongly criticized Israel on 'Poly, and that's Chegitz. Che doesn't vote for democrats.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X