Homeless man finds best reward is honesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeless man finds best reward is honesty

Here's a guy that deserves some good luck.

Community rallies around man, gives him $4,000 for returning $21,000 bond

Associated Press

Updated: 8:45 a.m. CT July 25, 2006

DETROIT - A homeless man who returned $21,000 worth of saving bonds he found in a trash bin is finding out how much honesty can pay off.

Charles Moore, 59, had been searching for returnable bottles last week when he came across the 31 U.S. savings bonds. He turned them in to a homeless shelter, where a staff member tracked down the family of the man who had owned them.

For his good deed, the bond owner’s son gave Moore $100, but residents around Michigan and in other states decided his action merited a more generous reward.

So far, Moore has received over $4,000.

One man sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a bowl of coins. Three others gave a combined $2,500, and two businessmen from Troy donated $1,200, a shopping spree and a lead on a job.

“I was thankful for it,” said Moore, who had lost his roofing job in Ohio and moved back to Michigan but couldn’t find work.

Moore said he plans to use the money to find an apartment.

David C. Smith, of Albuquerque, N.M., gave Moore $1,000. Smith said he and his fiancée wouldn’t have thought twice about what to do if the bonds had belonged to them.

“We would have given him the whole amount, period,” Smith said. “No questions asked.”
    © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Honesty is such a rare quality.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

"One man sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a bowl of coins."

Must have cleaned out his car.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Hail to the real bond owner for giving $100.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Sure, he didn't have to give anything, but he was incredibly cheap in my opinion.

Comment

I would tend to agree.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

0.5 % of something he didn't knew he had

If he had some honor 10 % would be fine.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Something tells me this guy is finding all the money the better reward.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The homeless guy did the right thing, but in hindsight finding the cheap ******* and giving him $100 would be very tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                    Something tells me this guy is finding all the money the better reward.
                    Please translate.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

In my defense: I did not say that!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Just goes to prove conservative mantra that the poor are poor because that's how they like it

Comment

Yup, a poor democrat would never had handed it in but kept it for himself
                          Last edited by BlackCat; July 25, 2006, 16:03.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Please translate.
                            Honesty isn't the best reward, it's just been lucrative. The money is the best reward.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

What?

Comment

Working...
                              X