Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a frittata.

Secrets to good omlettes:

1. Add about a teaspoon of water and a few pinches of salt to the whipped eggs (3).
    2. Use a non-stick 8" skillet, thicker is better.
    3. Onions, peppers, and mushrooms need to be pre-sauteed.
    4. Put the eggs in the pan that is hot and has plenty of oil (I prefer olive oil). And toss your ingredients (except cheese) in on top of the eggs.
    5. As the eggs set, lift from the edges with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and allow the rest of the non-cooked eggs to run underneath by tilting down towards the lift.
    6. Once the bottom is mostly set and there is not more egg to run off the top flip the omlette. I just whip it over in one easy move, but I cooked them in restaurants for years. The other way is to use a another 8" pan and put it over the other one and give it a 180. That pan will need to be hot. Alternatively you a=can not flip it at all since the next step is the oven.
    7. Now add the cheese to the omlette and put it in the oven with the broiler on high and the rack on the top of the oven so that the pan is very close to the element. Allow the cheese to melt and the omlette to puff (or if you did not flip it let the eggs finsih cooking then add the cheese and puff).
    8. Leave the handle of the skillet sticking out of the oven unless it is an all metal pan.
    9. Slid the omlette halfway onto a plate and flip the other end over on itself as it comes out of the pan. Use the spoon if need to help it over.
    10. You should end up with a 4" monster omlette, but it will lose its volume very quickly as it cools.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
      Probably a frittata.
      sounds like something different IIRC

10. You should end up with a 4" monster omlette, but it will lose its volume very quickly as it cools.

Guarentee it will lose its volume as I engage it is a deathmatch of survival
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Just cooking a simple stew of ground meat, onions and mashed tomato

Comment

Use lots of cellery in spag sauce and less of everything else except tomato sauce and you might be surprised.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Put bell peppers (a.k.a. green peppers) in everything!

Comment

Amateurs...

Anyway, the most often error making omlet is not heating up the oil enough. As for the rest, Spaced said it.

Comment

I've got an omelet pan that folds in the middle to help with the cooking.

My advice to beginner cooks; pick on type of cooking and stick with it. Disasters are sometimes good things.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I made a great tongue & liver pate with prunes yesterday I cooked tongue pieces over medium heat for 2h, then stewed liver pieces in port for 1.5 hours, adding prunes for the last 20 minutes, ground everything with a meat grinder, pressed and put into fridge. I had food riots at home over this
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

reminds me, when I was in Honduras we had something for breakfast, cheese and meat combo..I forget, it was from Spanish decent, IIRC

Darn

It was pretty good too
                    Honduras...oh man I read that as Southern Europe for some reason (Oh the Spanish part).

How about migas?
                    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Tonight I shall be cooking Thai red curry...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

...and no, not in the microwave
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

by "cooking" do you mean "ordering"?
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

The key to cooking eggs (overeasy or omelettes) is:
                            1) Cook them on a somewhat low temperature, but start with the pan being hot (to keep them from running too much). On a gas stove I use a very low setting, on electric i'd use medium to medium low (325° maybe).
                            2) Cook the eggs long enough on the first side before flipping. 90% of people who break the omelette do so because they flip it too early. It should do 80-90% of its cooking before you flip it, though like Spaced says lift up the edges earlier to make sure they don't stick. You don't have to flip the entire omelette over; putting the cheese in the middle and then turning the heat to low, then flipping the half over that's going to be the top, will cause the middle to finish cooking (using the cheese as frying oil, basically).
                            Omelettes of the appropriate density should be able to cook entirely on one side; the only reason to flip would be to get the 'cooked' texture on the other side (which if you're putting stuff in the middle you get that anyway).

OverEasy Eggs, the key to not breaking the yolk is again cooking them long enough on one side, and using two spatulas or a fork and a spatula to turn them over if you're not that good at it.
                            Cook them until the egg is very firm - you should be flipping them, counting to 5 or 10 depending on your yolk preference, and then they're done ... so again the key is cooking them until they're done before flipping.

Omelette recipe from me: a few tablespoons of milk or half½ one of [oregano, basil, tarragon, chervil, cilantro] depending on your taste preference; and tomato pieces (diced). Mix these into the eggs before cooking. Then after nearly done cooking, many cheeses go well; cheddar of course, but also goat cheese or fresh mozzerella
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm the cook in our household. My wife is away on business for 3 days, though, so I'll be living off leftovers for a while I have this thing about cooking for 1. I don't do it.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

my wife and Mantas are in the hospital so I had some friends over and we hasd some beeeraks. and finished theu pate.
                                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                                X