Poly Cooks at Home, UNITE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly Cooks at Home, UNITE!

My wife has been away for a week visiting her Mom at her farm. Gramps has been doing some cooking. I am not an "Excellent Cook" but can cook enough to make me happy.

I was wondering do we have anybody else here who enjoys getting into the kitchen and throwing a sort of gourmet meal together?

Im not talking of being a Chef by trade but merely the kind of cook that builds a stew or special omelet

Me, I just made my first omelet in some twenty years and it needs some work

Taste "A"

Ingredients "Delicious"

Outcome in appearence "Disaster"-My omelet fell apart but ended up being very good tasting

Ok

Who else enjoys cooking?

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

I grill or do crock pot. Chili. That's it. BUT, I can eat those things I do cook.

Check out some crock pot recipes.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      I grill or do crock pot. Chili. That's it. BUT, I can eat those things I do cook.

Check out some crock pot recipes.
      I do crock pot as well

I also enjoy using a Wok

Pork,Beef,Mushrooms,Onions,Chicken, anything to fry up

Add some Stir Fry Rice and some Hot Sauce

Comment

My brother is the wok cook. Actually, he can cook several things.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If you can find finbar around here, I think he's a good cook.
          I personally stick to a few simple things out of laziness (mostly various kinds of desserts), leaving most of the cooking to my wife. I often wish I had cooked, though, since we don't prepare the same meals at all. Roastbeef for me, soup for her...
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I a thinking of revisiting a fried chicken recipe I learned as a younger man.

Dip your skinless chicken in a milk and egg batter and then drop in a bowl of crushed saltine crackers and fry

Makes a very delicious crispy coating

Comment

I grill, I cook, I come up with a lot of my own creations.

I have a few different marinated skirt steak recipes I've come up with... some flank steak recipes... I also have a lot of healthier stuff that I make. Quesadillas (with either steak, chicken, or seasoned ground beef), stuffed pitas (usually sausages, hummus, and other stuff).

There's really too much to list.

I also am a master at breakfast.

and not just some scrambled eggs... I'm talking being able to do breakfast for an entire family... having a large selection of foods prepared at the proper time (because timing is important with breakfast).

"Bull's eyes" are among my favorites. That's when you fry an egg in the middle of a piece of toast (I'm sure everyone calls it something different). I have that down to a science.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Thanks Sava!

You brought up a good point, my wife does an excellent job for on Sunday evenings we have our son,daughter in law and daughter and the two grandson's over

My sweetie does a wonderful job at cordinating all the sides

For breakfast, I am working on my home fries, which need some work

Over easy eggs, my ratio is around 40 percent , sems I need work on technique, as I end up breaking the yolks too often

I am currently using PAM (spray in pan) to help

GT

Comment

Stews Chilis anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                    Stews Chilis anything
                    Etchy, I fell in love when I was stationed in Germany, Jaeger Snitzel mit grosso Pomme Frittes

That mushroom gravy that was on it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Etchy, I fell in love when I was stationed in Germany, Jaeger Snitzel mit grosso Pomme Frittes

That mushroom gravy that was on it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious

EDIT: I would love to make it one day

Comment

sounds like classic Rahmchampignons

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Over easy eggs, my ratio is around 40 percent , sems I need work on technique, as I end up breaking the yolks too often

I am currently using PAM (spray in pan) to help
                          For eggs, I prefer to use butter or margarine (not as healthy, but I don't eat fried eggs that often, so it's okay ). I use the stick like a marker and paint the pan. Also, try using a lower heat setting... perhaps medium or a little above that. It gives yourself a little bit more time for the egg to cook and it makes it less likely that the yolk will break. I rarely break a yolk when I cook over-easy eggs nowadays.

It just takes practice to get the technique down.

It also helps to have a good spatula.

I know a place to get a great one.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

for breakfy when im awake i usually make do of the easy mexican tacos bean and cheese, egg, bacon and cheese or potatoe egg bacon and cheese. I couldnt cook an omlet if my life depended on it
                            it usually comes out scrambled eggs with cheese and meats
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                              for breakfy when im awake i usually make do of the easy mexican tacos bean and cheese, egg, bacon and cheese or potatoe egg bacon and cheese. I couldnt cook an omlet if my life depended on it
                              it usually comes out scrambled eggs with cheese and meats
                              reminds me, when I was in Honduras we had something for breakfast, cheese and meat combo..I forget, it was from Spanish decent, IIRC

Darn

It was pretty good too

Comment

Working...
                              X