Problem with a Lynksis Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Though, all this may seem like something to call Linksys about"

I was a Tech Supprt monkey for LinkSys...don't waste your time.

I, EVEN I, (hmm sounds vaguely Biblical) had probably the most 'technical skill' on the floor. And that is a nightmarish thing.

Be prepared to spend hours following a rigid script designed to weed out morons who don't know how to plug wires into holes or reset the router.

Be prepared to be given an agonizingly long step by step procedure which the agent cannot deviate from and in which you will suddenly realize that they are merely resetting your password in the Router Config page.

Above all, even if you know exactly what is wrong and you only need one tiny piece of info, or if it is actually factory defective (like a surprisingly large percentage of models are), please be aware that the TSA you are talking to MUST follow their Epsilon semi-moron script NO MATTER WHAT.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

if I had to guess, i'd wonder if the reset of the settings was the problem.

Can she see the router over the wireless network? That identifies many of the major problems. IE, if you can't see it, then there's something more serious wrong (though a new router should fix that).

If she can, I recommend logging in to the router (usually by going to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or something similar to that), usually having "admin" and some simple password (sometimes blank by default), that should be in the router manual. There you can identify a lot of the common problems...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The only thing right now that connects wireless is the Xbox, she has to wait for her new charger for the laptop.

ACK!
        Last edited by Tuberski; July 23, 2006, 00:44.
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Man, is there such a thing as a hassle-free router?

I'll buy one soon, since I want to buy a Squeezebox. Its a device that allows you to stream on your sound system the music on your PC.

Any suggestions? I almost bought a D-Link.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

This router has been great up until now.

ACK!

Comment

when it finally works itself out tell her she cant even look at the router
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The setup is modem-router-two machines? Maybe she has connected the in-slot to the x-box and out to the modem... Happened to me once.

Oh, and is the "She can plug into the cable modem directly and it works." via the regular R-something cable or perhaps USB?

I trust she has unplugged and re-plugged the modem, aswell?
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Lynksis Router? Is he European?
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

No. Texan, but I can see how'd you get the two confused...
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Calling Lynksis actually worked, and fairly fast.

ACK!

Comment

yes it did got a tech on the phone and had me mac clone some settings after that it worked. thanks for the help. no i have to figure out if what the tech did would work on my old router and return the new one since it isnt a day old and not really used and the two are identical
                        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                          Calling Lynksis actually worked, and fairly fast.

ACK!
                          I only told you that at 9:20 last night .

I thought it may have been something with the settings on the computer.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So what are the best routers? Should I avoid some at all costs?
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Wired or wireless?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Man, everyone's complaining about Lynksys lately.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X