No announcement yet.

I failed my driving test... Comfort me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't think there's such a thing as being overly cautious, unless you're just being absurd.

Yes there is . But instead of failing you, I'd just lean on the horn.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The test system here in Ireland is a mess. As our_man says, there are massive waiting lists at virtually all test centres and a proportion of the work is being contracted out to the private sector to get the backlog down (it took months to get the union to agree to that one).

In the rural areas the test is a joke (not quite so bad in Dublin). There is no motorway or high speed driving, basically it consists of trundling round a housing estate at no more than 30mph. It is recognised that they need to make the test harder but they can't do that until they get rid of the waiting lists.

Driving standards aren't bad but the poor drivers are becoming more noticeable as traffic increases on the roads. There are a lot of fatal accidents though, usually single vehicle into a ditch/wall/tree or overtaking misjudgements, often at night and often young drivers.

Apparently, if you go to the west of Ireland the young drivers waiting for a test, or retake, often just drive anyway as there is no other way to get around (when is the next bus? - Thursday).
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I failed my road test four times. For various reasons. I went to a different DPS office (servicing a more affluent constituency, therefore being less crowded, and having more chilled out testers) a couple hours after that last failure and passed with a near perfect score.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

I failed my driving test... Comfort me.

I believe Nobel Prize-winning physicist Niels Bohr also failed to acquire a driving license, twice. After which he decided to just settle for studying quantum mechanics and similar stuff.

Or maybe it's an urban legend. But I always think of him when I hear of people flunking their driver's tests.

Comment

In my driving test I just had to go arround the block..

Which was good, because I was a poor driver (I did get a -5 for changing lanes without looking over my shoulder).

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'd be more worried if you got a -5 for 'We are upset that you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion'
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                I didn't start driving until I was 24. My wife still doesn't drive.
                Do you live in a major city? If not, how do you manage to handle all the kids?
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                  Do you live in a major city? If not, how do you manage to handle all the kids?
                  Grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania but never needed to drive. I did all my traveling to other states and countries without the family. A car started to become necessary only when I relocated to southern Maryland and worked in Washington DC.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Driving testers want you to not hesitate before turns, because a hesitant driver is often a poor driver. Not because they don't want you to drive safely, but because they want you to show that you can drive safely while still driving at a reasonable pace. Particularly in cities, the worst drivers are the ones that drive slowly, don't make turns quickly (ie, wait for a large hole in traffic to make a left), and aren't at least a little bit aggressive. If you are entirely passive and hesitant, you will cause significant traffic backups.

Beyond that, hesitancy often masks lack of comfort with driving, and indicates someone who needs to drive a bit more before he/she should be licensed.

(Not saying that any of this necessarily affects any of y'all, as I don't know your details, just that's the thinking of the driving instructor.)
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I wish the driving test in Connecticut was actually difficult. Well, I don't know, maybe it has changed, but when I took it (12 years ago, ack!) it was pathetically easy. I was stunned by how easy it was.

The most difficult thing I had to do was a 3-point turn It took 5 minutes.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Anyway... our_man, did you go through a driver training course? If not, and you can afford it, do it.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                          Particularly in cities, the worst drivers are the ones that drive slowly, don't make turns quickly (ie, wait for a large hole in traffic to make a left), and aren't at least a little bit aggressive. If you are entirely passive and hesitant, you will cause significant traffic backups.
                          Slow, over-cautious driving is bad, I agree, but so is running over old people.

Comment

Working...
                          X