I failed my driving test... Comfort me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lonestar
    (assuming you aren't taking lessons from someone certified to give you a pass.)
    WTF?

This seems a bit dangerous to me. You'll rely on the honesty of instructors not to pass all their clientele just to make their business look good.

Comment

i passed my test first time, found it pretty easy tbh
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The only time I failed a driving test was when I returned to the US after having lived for 3 years in Grenada, a former British possession where they still drive on the wrong side of the road. At one part of the test I just barely veered towards the wrong lane so they made me take the test over.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

More people shouldn't get their driver's license; and to that end, testing for renewal should be more the norm. Not just a "formality".

Oh, wait a minute. I was supposed to be feeling badly for you.
          Too bad, PUNK! You had 48 weeks to prepare, and pissed it away? Jackass.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Make you feel better?

It could be worse - you could be as bitter as Sloww is over whatever the hell it is he has to be bitter about.

Comment

Bitter? I'm fine as frog hair.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Did you ask how much it costs to turn left correctly?
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  There's nothing wrong with failing a first driving test - as long as you didn't have to wait 48 weeks for it and perhaps again for the second. Does no-one in Ireland want to be an examiner?

I failed my first test because I waited for a car to pass during my three-point-turn. I passed my second, but the examiner said he was tempted to fail me for 'hesitation' on a left turn where two very old people were teetering on the kerb looking as if they were about to step in front of the car. So it was clear to me that taking care is not part of passing a driving test - according to the two examiners I had.

Good luck in getting the 2nd test in quickly.
                  I've failed a few tests with similar gripes - you are supposed to pay care and attention to what is going on around you, but if your judgement differs to theirs, they fail you. Even in hindsight on some of those things I was failed for, I was still in the right. You see, it's a money-making racket - they want you to fail a few tests so they can squeeze money out of examinees, and they are making the tests tighter for these reasons, however I have seen no net increase in skills amongst new drivers...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

or maybe you're just not a very good driver yourself...
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      More people shouldn't get their driver's license; and to that end, testing for renewal should be more the norm. Not just a "formality".

Oh, wait a minute. I was supposed to be feeling badly for you.
                      Too bad, PUNK! You had 48 weeks to prepare, and pissed it away? Jackass.
                      Considering I spend most of the year in Glasgow, where I don't have access to a car, and I only had 12 days to practice, before which it had been 6 months since I last sat into a car, I though I performed pretty impressively.
                      STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I failed my test three times, for 'not looking in my mirror'. Of course I did look in my mirror but the instructor can't see that fact. 4th time I put the mirrors skew so I had to lean left/right/forward to see in each of the mirrors properly. Over-emphasising my use of mirrors passed me.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                          I failed my test three times, for 'not looking in my mirror'. Of course I did look in my mirror but the instructor can't see that fact. 4th time I put the mirrors skew so I had to lean left/right/forward to see in each of the mirrors properly. Over-emphasising my use of mirrors passed me.
                          This happens a lot. Fortunately I was advised that flicking the eyes at the mirror is not enough, and to position the mirror so as to exaggerate the movement.

Comment

They just want to keep the poor folks off the roads in europe.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Way back when, I got a 100 on the written, and the guy said I missed a few on the driving. I asked so I would not make the mistake again and he said I miss a few and that was that.

Comment

I didn't start driving until I was 24. My wife still doesn't drive. My first license was in Oklahoma, my second in West Germany, and my third in Maryland (and I'm not from either place).
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X