Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sixth Pay Commission instituted ; may bankrupt government , derail Indian economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aneeshm
    The last pay commission doubled ( that's right - 100 % increased ) the pay of government employees .
    That doesn't really tell anything if you don't consider inflation. Could be that since the previous pay commission the general price level has risen by the same amount.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Are government employees paid the same in all provinces, regardless of the differences in cost of living? That seems ill-advised.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Two things need to change, though, not just one. The second thing is doing something about "it's impossible to fire them." Pay them well, yes. But also make it possible to take out the trash when necessary.
        that bit blew me away too. government employees are pretty hard to sack in most places, but being able to simply not turn up for your job, work elsewhere and NOT get fired is just something else.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          If Che's understanding of the situation is correct, then I have to agree with him.

My buddy Rohit used to ***** about this all the time.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            As I understand it, India's government pays their employees so little that corruption is the only way that government employees can earn a living. Many don't even do the jobs they're paid for, but work at 2nd jobs instead, because it's impossible to fire them.

If India's ever going to be anything but a 3rd world hell, they're going to have to start paying their employees a living wage.
            Or it could be ingrained into the culture. Pakistan has had HUGE corruption problems in the past/present/and most likely, future. Perhaps they are suffering from too little pay from the government, but I'm not entirely certain if that is correct (though what I do know is that, at least in Pakistan, work is a much much more relaxed thing than in the US, and perhaps as a result the pay is so small comparitively ).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Could be. Very few people bust their asses like Yankees. Southerners certainly don't
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Imran is right on this one - corruption is ingrained in the culture . During and since Indira Gandhi's time , corruption has come to dominate the governmental organisation . It is not because they do not make enough money that officers are corrupt - it is because everyone else is doing it , his predecessor did it , his successor is going to do it , and his superior expects him to do it . A lot of people join the government because of the chances it offers to indulge in corruption .

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

During and since Indira Gandhi's time , corruption has come to dominate the governmental organisation .

Indira Gandhi- not renowned for being:

the bastard child of the Communists' rape of the Congress .
                  was she ?

...corruption is ingrained in the culture .

I blame the Moguls.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Indira Gandhi- not renowned for being:

was she ?
                    No , she was renowned for being the product of the Nehru-Gandhi's dynastie's rape of Indian politics and voters . And she is renowned for trying to snuff out Indian democracy ( Emergency , midnight knock , arrest of all opposition , etc. .

Originally posted by molly bloom

I blame the Moguls.
                    I blame Indira . Before her , it wasn't this bad . She totally , absolutely runied whatever was left of the system .

Comment

You need another Mahatma Ghandi, someone who will lead the people of India with spiritual integrity.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Aneeshm, isnt India a net importing a country?

A country that imports a lot more than it exports?
                        How does india get the dollars to cover that deficit?

(I suppose foregin investment and tourism are not enough)
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Indira wouldn't explain Pakistani and Bangledeshi corruption. It had to be something before her.. probably during the British occupation.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                            Aneeshm, isnt India a net importing a country?

A country that imports a lot more than it exports?
                            How does india get the dollars to cover that deficit?

(I suppose foregin investment and tourism are not enough)
                            Portfolio investment. Enough for India's current account to be in surplus.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

That only works for as long as outsiders think there's a profit to be made. As soon as they get a wiff of panic, it's '97 for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X