Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the name of ministry of foreign affairs of Finland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flip McWho

Good PR.
    Not Good PR, but Good Syria
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
      saippuakivikauppias!
      Originally posted by Winston
      Longest palindrome in the world. It means soap dealer IIRC. Hence it is not used much in everyday conversation.
      It is the longest palindrome that the Guinness Book of World Records considers to have a sane meaning and which could be used in everyday speech. It does *not* mean "a vendor who sells soap bars" - that would be "palasaippuakauppias" ("palasaippua" refers to soap bars as a complete article to be sold, etc., while "saippuapala" means a generic bit of soap), rather, it means "a vendor who sells saponite".

FWIW, I'm rather partial to "suolatomaattimittaamotalous", which is 27 characters long and makes grammatical sense, making it much more impressive than the 25-character "solutomaattimittaamotulos". The latter, not being a proper, meaningful word, can't be translated, though what it probably *almost* means is "solutomaattimittaamon tulos" (result provided by a/the measurement laboratory of cell tomatoes"). The former means "economy of measurement laboratories of salty tomatoes".
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

"And on Saturday night, God couldn't sleep, so he made himself a night cap.
        And he created Finnish, and he saw that it was.. getting a bit late, so he went back to bed and forgot the whole thing."

Comment

And the in the morning God felt a bit hung over and crapped Denmark to shape his poo. Devine poo, yes.. but still.. poo.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"And God suddenly realised that he forgot to teach the Finns how to take a joke, and there was much gnashing of teeth and sadness on the face of the Earth.."

Comment

And then God invented irony, which is, unfortunately wasted on few people....
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Atte Kumiorava, varo imuketta!
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

For fellow Finns

Yes, Tuomioja is a clueless hippie when it comes to Middle East, but you should realise that he's not stupid enough to believe his own communist rhetoric anymore. His personal share ownerships paint a very cynical picture of a greedy old man willing to say anything in order to stay in power.

Oh, and "finlandization" is a specific term from the era of Cold War. I believe I saw it used in the 1985 version of the PC game Balance of Power.

Comment

Working...
                  X