Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna die!

Got your attention, didn't it?

Of course I'm going to die; we're all going to die. You can wiggle your way out of taxes, but you can't outrun the Reaper.

I learned last week that my blood sugar is higher than normal. Only one reading has been at diabetic levels (136, and I may have been slightly dehydrated for the test), but subsequent tests (I now have to prick myself and measure twice daily) have almost all been between 100 and 120 (upper healthy range is 90 or 100). Both sides of my family have had diabetics. And I use an awful lot of sugar in my coffee. So, I may be in the early stages of diabetes. I'm taking glucophage and monitoring my blood sugar, and we'll have to see what happens.

This made me think about my mortality. I'm a morbid guy, so I often think about death, but these kinds of health revelations inevitably increase those thoughts. I'm only 38, and otherwise reasonably healthy (though I could stand to lose 30-40 lbs) so this shouldn't take me down anytime soon.

But someday, I will die. But how?

The purpose of this thread isn't to discuss my blood sugar, but rather to hear from my fellow Polytubbies.

1) How do you think you will die?

2) How do you want to die?

For #2, please don't say "Well, I don't ever want to die" or "Peacefully, in my sleep, at a ripe old age, after a good meal and great sex." These are obvious and uninteresting responses.

For me,

1) I will probably die of heart disease. It runs on my Mom's side of the family, I've had high cholesterol for a while (though it's currently 170), and I still love my cheeseburgers and milkshakes.

2) I want to die thusly: after a lifetime of agnosticism bordering on atheism, the unbelievably enormous Finger Of God slowly descends from the heavens, and as I scream with laughter ('cause the sight drives me insane) squishes me into the ground like a bug.

Next batter!

I want to be taken up. Zapped outa here. There's a chance it will happen in my lifetime.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I intend to live forever - so far so good.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I want to die like my grandfather did - peacefully, asleep. Not screaming, like his co-driver.

This is only a joke, hopefully noone's offended or something

Comment

Because I border on megalomania and schizophrenia, how I think I'm going to die and how I want to die often coincide.

I can see three paths towards my own end.

Down the first path, I see myself dying of some easily curable disease either in an insane asylum or on the streets as I rave about the end of the world. I often fear that my thoughts will get the best of me, driving me fully towards insanity.

My second theoretical death comes when I die a martyr's death at the hands of civilization itself, whist trying to lead a revolution/defend my project against the unenlightened of the universe.

Lastly, assuming my ultimate plan for the world succeeds, I will transcend life and death through technology, spirituality, and some other stuff relating to my philosophy and become immortal.

At various times I want and/or believe all three of these things.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
            I want to die like my grandfather did - peacefully, asleep. Not screaming, like his co-driver.

This is only a joke, hopefully noone's offended or something
            You have just insulted my belief in living forever - I demand an apology from your government.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

1) From something really boring like old age or something really embarressing like diarrhea

2) Go back in time, conquer most of the world, come up against my evil clone and in a final apocolyptic battle i kill my clone but not before im fatally wounded and with my last breath i mutter some speech that goes down in history
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I'm disappointed that you didn't mention coming back to life after your death.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why you post what you post.

Comment

I think the big C will get me.

I'd like to die in my sleep.
                    What?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      Sometimes I wonder why you post what you post.
                      So that you can report me.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                        I'd like to die in my sleep.
                        Isn't that a bit of a waste of something you will only experience once in your life?
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I was planning to die by activating a doomsday machine that turns all the known universe to spinach egg noodles.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I think I'll die from a stupid accident.

I hope to die by suicide, after a long and successful life. I'd hate to die in circumstances not under my control.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              Isn't that a bit of a waste of something you will only experience once in your life?
                              Not looking particularly forward to the experience.
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X