Laptop R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop R.I.P.

My Toshiba M40 died. Like, just dead. Motherboard went, and some other stuff too probably.

I have a replacement warranty with Staples/BureauEnGros. I dont wanna spend more $$$ for a replacement really, and they dont have the same asortment they had when I first got my laptop. I'm looking at $1400 MAX for my next laptop.

What should I get, from this selection?

Laptop Choices

Importantly, I'd like to be able to play civ4 on it. But also, I might spring some of the replacement $$$ on an xbox360
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

1400$ max and that's not wanting to spend much?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Oh wait, it's Canadian dollars. [insert obligatory joke]
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Har har har

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
          Oh wait, it's Canadian dollars. [insert obligatory joke]
          Which one? The one where the Canadian dollar keeps appreciating against all other world currencies and there are analysts predicting it will be get back to on par with the US buck
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Laptop R.I.P.

[SIZE=1]
            What should I get, from this selection?

Laptop Choices
            Kind of hard to give an opinion as I don't have a canadian postcode.
            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

I dont know actually. But people always laugh at you and it seemed fun.

Comment

for canadian post code, put in J4J 3R9

And stay on topic FFS, plz

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                  1400$ max and that's not wanting to spend much?
                  You could easily spend much more than that on a laptop, even in USD. And I'm not talking about custom built gaming machines or anything.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

You could easily spend much more than that on a laptop, even in USD. And I'm not talking about custom built gaming machines or anything.
                    I understand that. But if you want a usual laptop that will run Civ4, you can get something like my two year old Thinkpad for a bit less than 1000$ and that's in Israel. In the US the prices should be even cheaper.

Comment

Probably. I'm just still bitter about the fact that my two year old laptop can't play Civ.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If your budget was $1800, this one would be excellent.

Sony VGNS660B Notebook Computer

This one looks ok and is within your budget.

Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv5230ca Notebook Computer

This one looks ok, but is $200 over budget.

Toshiba Satellite P100-SD3 Notebook Computer

What I've gathered is that the ones capable of running Civ4 decently are over $1400.
                        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the staples aspect of this... you have a warranty with them that allows replacement up to $1400 [at no cost to you]? If that's true, then ... have fun buying overpriced laptops without spending your own money Otherwise, i'd head over to newegg or whatever you canadians use instead ...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

When I bought my laptop last year, They had M40s. I got the M40 Jm3, which was a Centrino, 1.7, half gig of ram, with a gamer video card(Geforce 6). They discontinued it of course, but when I got it, it was a cool $1400.

I'm taking into account now that maybe I cant be a gamer on my laptop on a $1400 budget, if I'm shopping at Staples.

So yeah, Snoopy, no cost to me, $1400 on anything in the store. I'm considering perhaps one of the $999 laptops, with an xbox360 on the side.

Qilue, aren't HP supposed to be ****e?

Comment

Under the terms of the warranty, are you allowed to kick a few bucks of your own? IOW, can you upgrade to an $1800 budget at a cost of $400 to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X