Iliad E-Reader (E650) -- Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iliad E-Reader (E650) -- Pic

A little too pricey for my blood ($810), but they look good and are starting to sell them to the public.

1024x768 E-Ink e-paper.
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

A little too pricey? Its a ripoff, IMO. Imagine all the books you can buy with all that money!
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

$810

Wasn't Sony's proposed one like $300 or something?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's a ton of money, but I wouldn't describe it as a ripoff. It's the first generation of the product and is for early adopters. It's the way new technology products tend to work.

Besides, there are other reasons to buy an e-reader that fit into the cost equation, such as space, etc.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          $810

Wasn't Sony's proposed one like $300 or something?
          I think Sony hasn't come out with the product that it announced. The Iliad was announced at $400 or whatever too.

Also, I think the Sony has 800x600 resolution.
          Last edited by DanS; July 18, 2006, 11:32.

Comment

Honestly i'd be much happier with the $350 Sony than the $750 iLiad. 800x600 is still much better resolution than a book... and the extra $400 is a lot of books to me I doubt i'll buy either one at first, but still...

I wonder how 'fast' the Sony reader will be. The iLiad talks about taking 2 seconds per page to render it, which would be fine, but it also talks about possibly taking longer for different formats... given my reading speed, this could be a serious downer
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

As of right now, Sony has no product at $350.

Comment

That's because they were waiting for some idiot to come in at $700+ so they could undercut the price and look like they were offering a deal! Brilliant!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Very nice but you can read confortably in any PDA and you have a complete PC too even with GPS and internet, and for a fraction of that price.
                  Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

what's the point of this ... thing?
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Dan, I realize sony hasn't released it yet Perhaps they're too busy producing PSIIIs so they can sit on them for a year

Anyhow, I'd still rather buy a hypothetical $350 item rather than a real $750 item that's not much better If Sony's is $700 or whatnot, I'm not buying it either [even if I had $700 to spare].
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It has a new type of screen.. which looks interesting. But I agree, most will buy a PDA for now..

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                          what's the point of this ... thing?
                          Uses e-paper rather than LCD. Easier to read for long stretches. Can keep a whole bunch of books at hand rather than on your bookshelf. Portable.

Comment

Maybe Sony is too busy investigating their next unethical entry by goods you purchase from them.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                            X