DSL Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Question

Do you need to have an active phone line (with say, Verizon) in order to get DSL? I'm moving from my apartment where I have cable, to one where I'm thinking about getting DSL; I don't have a landline, just my cell phone. So can I just get DSL through the phone lines, or would I have to get the phone service too?

You need to have active phone service.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You have to have a landline, more or less. It's not really physically required - the lines have to be there, but not the service to the phone # - but phone companies generally require it.

Most have a $9-$12 simple plan (/month) for the service, plus a few $ a month in fees/taxes.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I am pretty sure you do need the service, because the DSL signal piggybacks on the telephone carrier signal.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Unwired may be worth looking at. You don't need a phone-line for it to work. Unfortunately it is more expensive and less reliable than landline-based DSL at the moment in Australia at least.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
          X