Anyone from Mobile, AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone from Mobile, AL?

I've got a job opportunity in Mobile, AL and was wondering, what's it really like?

All the stuff I find online is all happy, fun wonderful life crap. I want to know what a shopping trip costs. Can I find a costco every three blocks like I can here in MI?

How much of a danger are hurricanes really? Is it just hot all the time? Are there a lot of parks for kids to play? Would you let your kids play in the parks or do "undesirables" live there? What would someone making 65 - 72k per year expect from the cost of living?

Just crap that nobody tells you when you are looking to relocate.

Thanks for the help,
    Tom P.

I wouldn't ask these bastards. Do a Google search.
    If nothing else, at least you're coming below the Mason-Dixon line. That's worth gold.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My brother went to school there for a year or so. He liked it well enough, there was plenty of shopping iirc. But he was 18 and drank his way out of school, so no idea how that counts
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

65-72k would be pretty good living in mobile iirc. I think he had a comparable COL to living in southern new mexico, which is pretty darn cheap

There are no costcos south of Birmingham in ALA, there is one sam's club in mobile though.

Pensacola isn't too far away, nor is gulfport MS, but too far away to shop at regularly.

Isn't there a 'southern' bulk retailer??

Comment

My sis went to Spring Hill. It deserves a visit before making any promises, considering that it's nothing like MI.

Low cost of living. $65k - $75k would be handsome wages in Mobile.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ton of walmarts. Several targets, also.

I recommend browsing the yellow pages online and that'll help a lot in being able to see what's there

Comment

Where's Mr. Fun?

You can supplement your income to a higher level if you'll move into a rural area and plant cotton. Get you some good slave labor. Be home free then.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                My sis went to Spring Hill. It deserves a visit before making any promises, considering that it's nothing like MI.

Low cost of living. $65k - $75k would be handsome wages in Mobile.
                That's where my brother went

Comment

Where's Mr. Fun?
                  Iowa...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X