No announcement yet.

Does Israel use the M1 Abrams tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Iraqi T-72 (mostly produced by Iraqis themselves), had no Soviet/Russian crew, had no Soviet/Russian ammunition, had no Soviet/Russian electronics, had no Soviet/Russian maintenance and have not been used in accordance with Soviet/Russian doctrines

I'm confused. Aren't those advantages?

As for doctrine, that requires overwhelming numerical superiority to offset the other stuff, doesn't it?
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Only in your sh!tty movies.

Comment

Or Chechnya.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

What Chechnya?

Comment

Can't just wish them away. Don't turn your back on them.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Serb

Comment

Date: 1999 to present

Comment

Back on topic:

I don't know for sure about the M1 tanks, but a significant portion of Israel's military is either equipped or paid for by the US.

From 1971 to 2006, the US has been giving Israel about 2 billion dollars a year on average. About 2/3 of this has been direct military aid. This is according to the largest newspaper in Norway, citing "official American numbers" as their source.

In 2006, US military aid to Israel will be about 2,28 billion dollars. The goodies provided by the US include F-15 and F-16 fighters, AH-64 Apache helicopters and, of course, weapons, fuel and spare parts for these.

According to the Norwegian newspaper, the US is in the process of delivering 102 custom-made F-16I fighters, nicknamed the "Soufa", which is supposedly hebrew for "Storm". The newspaper claims that some of these aircraft have already been used in Lebanon.

Pentagon last Friday informed congress that it planned to deliver 210 million dollars' worth of jet fuel to Israel "to help the Israeli Air Force secure peace and stability in the region".

According to the Norwegian newspaper, Israel also has "several other sophisticated American weapons" on its' "shopping list". This supposedly includes both tanks and warships, and "a chemical laser weapon designed to protect high priority targets from missiles and other threats".

Now, this newspaper is known for rushing to print stuff and not always getting it right, so I guess we shouldn't take this too seriously, but some of it's probably true.

Link to source article (in Norwegian ): http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=123527
                    "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
                    -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

They got that from the AP, and yes, the US gives Israel massive amounts of military aid. Of course, the US also gives Egypt billions a year in military aid.

As important as direct aid has been massive US aide in the building of an Israeli arms industry, to the point that sometimes the US forces Israeli to end certain programs because the US arms manufacturers fear israeli competition.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hello there! I see you are discussing Middle Eastern arms shipments. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

Negotiating with terrorists was only chic under Clinton, who used sex crimes in negotiations with Italian refugees under Mussolini. Israel must exist. The Gaza strip is no more than a front for the special interest groups that dominate liberal politics today. Flip-flopping at its best, way to go Mr. Traficant.
                        RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

Go away.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What the ****?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              What the ****?
                              Indeed. That was like CharlesBHoff with good grammer.

Comment

Hey, I like the automated troll-thing, whatever it is. It reminds me of a cross between OTBOT and the Time Cube guy. Back off!
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X