X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I opened this thread up wondering what interesting and informative thing DanS had to say on the subject.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The spanish shot, and killed a few of them.
        The Spanish shot? I would rather say the Moroccan shot
        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Illegal immigration to Europe

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Spiffor

Debt relief initiative.
          To get it, there is one clause on which the IMF doesn't expand too much in its website, i.e. "public expenditure management."
          The targeted countries are to cut on public expenditure, so that it can be realistic according to the "macroeconomic constraints".
          Now, these buzzwords are all nice, but let's see what kind of expanses the African countries:
          - military: already small in peaceful countries, and threatened countries won't cut on it.
          - education.
          - healthcare. It is especially expansive for African budgets.
          - development funds.
          - other kinds of social aid
          - civil servant salaries
          - secret funds (unlikely, given the widespread corruption)

1. These arent buzzwords. They are the reality that debt foregiveness is only possible if they get their financial houses in order - IE they have to stop piling up MORE debt.

2. You ignore subsidies to consumer items, which are often a big expense item in LDC's. Also much development funding is wasted. Your interpretation that asking LDCs to cut back expenditures in order to qualify for debt relief translates into demanding privatization of education is simply not justified.

The world bank itself admits (in diplomatic terms) that the money it recieves is largely insufficient.

Well since the World Banks mission is to fight poverty and create development, Id hope they fight for more funds to do so. As to funding declining, IIUC its been INCREASING in the last few years here in the US, not sure about Europe. I understand EU member budgets are under pressure. I would note also, decline as share of GDP doesnt mean an absolute decline.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Illegal immigration to Europe

Originally posted by Spiffor

Debt relief initiative.
            To get it, there is one clause on which the IMF doesn't expand too much in its website, i.e. "public expenditure management."
            The targeted countries are to cut on public expenditure, so that it can be realistic according to the "macroeconomic constraints".
            Now, these buzzwords are all nice, but .
            Read the doc at the link. Its a guide to sound management and accounting principles (the kind of things every good French bureaucrat learns at the Grande Ecole D'administration) .
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal immigration to Europe

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              Your interpretation that asking LDCs to cut back expenditures in order to qualify for debt relief translates into demanding privatization of education is simply not justified.
              Yet it happened in some places.

I would note also, decline as share of GDP doesnt mean an absolute decline.

It does show a decline in the commitment. And the Morocco meeting we're discussing isn't the fist time where Europe commits to fight poverty in Africa. Johannesburg was about sustainable development (a concept which is as economic as ecologic), and Gleneagles was directly about fighting poverty in Africa.
              There's the talk, and then there's the walk.
              Last edited by Spiffor; July 19, 2006, 17:51.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal immigration to Europe

Originally posted by Spiffor

Yet it happened in some places.
                but you didnt say the initiative is an attempt to get govts to control their budgets, and cut back on misguided subsidies and boondoggles(in return for subtantial and meaningful debt relief which will be of importane in REDUCING misery), which unfortunately SOME govts have responded to with cutbacks in education. No, you said this

"Supported the IMF-sponsored reforms, which basically privatize education and healthcare, making the living conditions of the poor even more miserable"

You said the IMF sponsored reforms, basically privative education. Well, that, mon ami, is basically, a lie.

Im sorry im not in a good mood today. You have the reputation here as a balanced fair poster. At least in this case, you spin as hard as any of us.

Comment

Islamic republic of France in 50 years, yo
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

If I could get Irish citizenship for me and my family, I'd move there without question.

Oh, wait...

If I could get Irish citizenship for me and my family and a job that pays me enough so we can live in the style to which we have become acustomed, I'd move there without question.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                    X