Pittsburgh to move franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh to move franchise

According to a Disney exec, the Pittsburgh club will be moving to Puerto Rico next year. They will be known as the Pirates of the Caribbean.

The Tigers were contacted about trading Kenny Rogers. Talks broke down when Kenny refused to change his name to Jolly.

The Pirates also want either Andruw or Chipper to change their name to Davey. Rockies starter Aaron Cook likes the idea of being called Captain.

There is no truth to the rumor that Al Davis will become the new GM.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Monkey!!!

Comment

Heh.

The Pirates might be doing Pittsburg a favor if they moved.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In actual sports franchise name news, it has been reported that the Anaheim NHL franchise is considering dropping the word "mighty" from their name, becoming simply the Anaheim Ducks.

Fans, of course, are outraged.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I would think they'd drop the "Ducks" part sooner than the "Mighty" part.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            In actual sports franchise name news, it has been reported that the Anaheim NHL franchise is considering dropping the word "mighty" from their name, becoming simply the Anaheim Ducks.

Fans, of course, are outraged.
            Considering? They did it a month ago. Already released the new logo and jerseys for the public to see.

And they reached the decision by meeting with the fans. I haven't heard of any outrage.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Well I, for one, am outraged. Not a hockey fan. But still, really, really outraged.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Ah yes, the monumental blunder of naming your sports franchise after a flavor-of-the-month movie. And so we shall always be blessed with the Raptors here in Toronto. I remember I laughed my ass off when the fans selected that name. I figured it was the equivalent of some new team in the late 70's calling themselves the Tie Fighters or Lightsabers.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Raptors is a decent name. Certainly better than Mighty Ducks.

And the Jedi would be an awesome team name.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I have always loved "Mighty Ducks" as a team name. It's magnificently silly.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      And the Jedi would be an awesome team name.
                      For.... NERDS!

Ordinary people will admit to loving Star Wars, but not backing a team named the "Jedi". It'd be crossing the Nerd Line - FACT!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Most sports names don't make all that much sense. Pittsburgh Pirates. The NFL website lists the reasons for the different team nicknames.

ARIZONA CARDINALS:
                        Contrary to popular logic, the team was not named after the beautiful bird but instead because the team played in used maroon jerseys the original team (in pre-NFL years) had purchased from the University of Chicago. When an observer scoffed that the jerseys were “faded red,” team owner Chris O’Brien countered that they weren’t “faded red,” they were “cardinal red.”
                        CAROLINA PANTHERS - Team owner Jerry Richardson’s son Mark is responsible for the selection of Panthers as the team name. Mark, who felt that there should be some “synergy” between the name and the team colors also suggested the team colors of black, blue and silver.
                        A lot of teams were named by owners who didn't have a clue - Chargers, Lions.

HOUSTON TEXANS - After Houston was awarded the NFL's 32nd franchise on October 6, 1999, a series of focus groups were formed to help come up with a nickname for the team. On March 2, 2000, the team announced five choices, the Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters. The list was then shaved to the Apollos, Stallions and Texans a month later. After careful deliberation, the team unveiled the Texans' name, colors, and logo at a rally held in downtown Houston on September 6, 2000.
                        Wildcatters? Not that Texans is a very good name either...
                        Half the teams in the NFL held fan polls, contests, or focus groups. Which is why there are dumb team names like the Jaguars and Chiefs.

BTW, bring back the Oakland Senors!
                        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                        New faces...Strange places,
                        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Now imagine being the goal tender for the Anaheim Ducks.

"Who's he?"

"He's the goaltender."

"what's he doing?"

"Ducking."

Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

For.... NERDS!

Ordinary people will admit to loving Star Wars, but not backing a team named the "Jedi". It'd be crossing the Nerd Line - FACT!
                            Tru dat. Everyoen knows the only acceptable franchise to include movie refernces will be when the Washington Wizards adopt the Hogwarts brand.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                            X