• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartoon Crisis redux

Envoy in ‘potato’ jibe at Poland’s top twin

By Hugh Williamson in Berlin

Published: July 11 2006 22:19 | Last updated: July 11 2006 22:19

Poland is “mishandling” relations with Germany, Warsaw’s ambassador to Berlin said on Tuesday , in a rare breach of diplomatic protocol that reflects underlying tensions within the administration of president Lech Kaczynski.

Speaking in a Financial Times interview in Berlin, ambassador Andrzej Byrt said Warsaw’s reaction to a controversial satirical article in a German newspaper in which the Polish president was compared to a potato had been “too emotional”.

He said a worsening of relations with Berlin in recent months was linked to the electoral successes last year of Mr Kaczynski and of his twin brother, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, head of the ruling Law and Justice party (PiS). “The mood [between the countries] has deteriorated” since the Polish polls and the election of Angela Merkel as German chancellor, he said.

The Polish government has demanded an apology from the German government over the article in die Tageszeitung, a small circulation leftwing daily, which mocked both Mr Kaczynski and his brother, who is expected tomorrow to be confirmed as the country’s next prime minister. Analysts believe the president’s anger over the article prompted him to pull out of a meeting of the so-called “Weimar three” – Germany, France and Poland – one of the few such summits where Warsaw is treated as an equal by the European Union’s two big powers.

The German government has cited the principles of press freedom and says it would be inappropriate for it to apologise.

Mr Byrt, due this month to leave the diplomatic service, said Poland faced problems with its international image because many of its politicians lacked international experience.

“There is an over-sensitivity in Poland, because many new politicians hardly know foreign countries. They believe they control foreign reactions [to events in Poland] in the same way they do in Poland itself. To do this with foreign partners is perhaps not very sensible”.

He said the decision by Jaroslaw Kaczynski to become prime minister had been a long-planned “tactical move” by the twin brothers, even though they had only a few days ago denied such a decision was on the cards.

The new prime minister is expected to take office tomorrow, officials in Warsaw said yesterday, following the resignation of Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz, the outgoing prime minister.

Tuesday’s outburst appeared linked to tensions within the ruling administration since the publication of the German newspaper article. The president has been critical of Poland’s foreign ministry, which he felt had failed to back him.

The ambassador said that, following a German radio interview he gave on Tuesday morning, officials in Warsaw had called and criticised him for speaking out. He nevertheless continued to grant other interviews.

Additional reporting by Nils Kreimeier in Berlin

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2006
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Really, this administration is a disgrace for Poland Can they do anything right?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Polish politics do seem to be a bit... "immature".
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Well, it'll come with time. The EU might actually help them having a more mature political arena.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Poland is stupid, throw rocks at it.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Actually, Poland isn't stupid. There are plenty of Poles with great talent and courage. IMO, among the new members of the EU, Poland is the country that is most likely to go forward, because it's so full of achievers.

But when it comes to politics, there are amazing piles of suckage in Poland.

Comment

How many Polish diplomats does it take to create a diplomatic row?
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                Polish politics do seem to be a bit... "immature".
                You haven't seen lithuanian politics
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                  How many Polish diplomats does it take to create a diplomatic row?
                  Only one, but he'll row in a circle.

Btw in all seriousness, Poles rock.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

especially the girls, they all have big ones, hm.. why is that?
                    be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                      especially the girls, they all have big ones, hm.. why is that?
                      I don't know. A lot of English girls have big ones as well, but they don't tend to be as pretty.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Who let them join the EU? Where they out of their tiny minds?
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

You haven't seen lithuanian politics
                          I think you've been going for the Italian model of growth: plenty of political turmoil so none of them get the opportunity to mess up the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Who let them join the EU? Where they out of their tiny minds?
                            I'm sure the same thing was said in 1976 about the UK when Heseltine wielded a mace in the middle of the House of Commons.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                              I'm sure the same thing was said in 1976 about the UK when Heseltine wielded a mace in the middle of the House of Commons.
                              Don't worry, we're still wondering why the eff we let you in

Comment

Working...
                              X