Why I am not and have not been afraid of terrorist attacks on American soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I am not and have not been afraid of terrorist attacks on American soil

This is the view i've had since a few weeks after September 11'th 2001. I have a few more reasons in the last 2 months to be even less worried.

My thinking, goes a bit like this;

There are some extremely easy attacks which could be pulled off with minimal to no planning and minimal material support, so simple that a number of Apolytonites could pull them off if they had the will.

Bomb a local pumping station in suburbia, the small ones which serve local communities and have no guards... hell, poison them.

Crippling a power plant would be a relatively easy job, how much explosives would you need to disable one?

How many pounds of c4 strapped onto an oil tanker in New York’s harbor would turn the New York coast into an ecological disaster?

Hell, walk into any major mall in America with an assault rifle and start shooting.

All of these are low in terms of material support or planning and high in the visible effect.

There are *ALOT* of potential low level attacks which could be pulled off yet not a single one has been attempted as far as we know.

After 5 years, I am concluding that either the "terrorists".... by the way I think Al-Queda is dead or on its last legs and have thought so since we hit Afghanistan. It is the big bad wolf. They have been crippled. People grossly overestimate the coordination ability of the many different groups which hate the U.S. and assume they are all working on collaboration. Hardly. Either the "terrorists" are unwilling or unable to attack us on U.S. soil because doing so would of been pathetically easy.

In the last 2 months the federal government released terrific victories over terror.... one of which involves a bunch of African American youths in Florida who could not tell the difference between c-4 and a brick of charcoal.

The announcement last week is equally ridiculous, people who had made no plans, had no supplies and done no reconnaissance, only stated so on a forum.

Ppresumably some forum not ALL that different from Apolyton. It was an Arab forum. People have talked about killing half the federal government as well as genocide on this forum. Do you think on some forum which is mostly frequented by middle easteners, that someone could not of made a comment about wanting to bomb someplace in the U.S.? Without more details, because the government refuses to give them, it seems entirely possible this was the “threat”.

So after 5 years we are not aware of a SINGLE attempt at a low level attack

I feel entirely safe and this has nothing to do with our governments "stalwart" efforts, but more to do with either a lack of desire or inability on the actions of the "terrorists", if they exist.

What am I afraid of? Revelations in the last few months of *massive* levels of goverment spying on our countrymen. This is far more of a threat to my well being then terrorists who have been unable or unwilling to pull off high yield but low effort attacks, or who do not even exist. I am also moderately concerned we are pissing off lots of Arabs who only had mild dislike for us before.

Discuss.

Im not afraid of dying period
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I am not only not afraid, I am confident about a lack of terror attacks. I made a similar post to this one a week or so from the first aniversary of 9/11. My prediction has been holding strong.

Comment

Me too. maybe we can start a political action group based on that?
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Sounds good.

We'll call it the "Stop ####ing around with the national debt, the tax code and stealing our civil liberties because we do not even BELIEVE we are in danger Union of American."

Comment

Fools. Americans are at risk in their country, and for sure if they leave.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

ok nancy. ill cower like a dog getting whapped on the nose with a newspaper like you and your family no doubt do when the word terrorism is spoken out loud in your house.

Comment

"If you are afraid, the terrorists win!"

Actually no. However if you chant a slogan like that America looses because its been conquered by demagouges.

That was to no one in particular but seemed relevant.

You can not be afraid but also not be a mindless drone.

The terrorists never "hated our freedom" either. How in the hell could anyone be stupid enough to believe that?

Comment

No, I'm just aware.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think it is inevitable that we will be attacked again. To believe otherwise is simply naive. Our government simply isn't competent enough to ensure a 100% success rate in stopping terrorists. No government or agency is really. We have been fortunate for the last few years, certainly.

So no I am not afraid on a daily basis that I'm going to be blown up. But I do think about it when I go downtown. DC is of course near the top of their list for targets, so absolutely I think about it. Nothing I can do about it really, and I don't change my life around it, but I am aware that the threat is always there.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

k
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

AQ wants a bigger hit than 9/11, takes much more planning and time... Some guy shooting up a mall would appear pathetic to the fanatics and fund raisers...

Comment

"would of" doesn't exist

Comment

A small squad of terrorists could walk into a mall with AK-47s. Al-Qaeda, however, likes to pull off spectacular attacks. Their attacks are more about making a big splash than terrorizing Americans. They want to get the attention of Muslims and have them join their cult, not generate sympathy for the devil.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                              "would of" doesn't exist
                              That's a kids error - I would expect to see that in primary school
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X