Pentagon says all Gitmo detainees entitled to Geneva Convention Protections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon says all Gitmo detainees entitled to Geneva Convention Protections

At least they won't pull an Andrew Jackson and say "Now you enforce it". Then again, it may just be talk. Regardless:

July 11, 2006
    In Big Shift, U.S. to Follow Geneva Treaty for Detainees
    By NEIL A. LEWIS and JOHN O’NEIL

WASHINGTON, July 11 — In a sweeping change of policy, the Pentagon has decided that it will treat all detainees in compliance with the minimum standards spelled out in the Geneva conventions, a senior defense official said today.

The new policy comes on the heels of a Supreme Court ruling last month invalidating a system of military tribunals the Pentagon had created to try suspected terrorists, and just before Congress takes up the question of a replacement system in a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing today.

As part of its decision, the court found that a key provision of the Geneva conventions, known as Common Article 3, did apply to terror suspects, contradicting the position taken by the Bush administration.

The Pentagon memo allowing detainees the protections of Article 3 was first reported today by The Financial Times.

In 2002, President Bush declared that members of Al Qaeda and other terror suspects seized during the invasion of Afghanistan were “illegal combatants,’’ and so were not entitled to the protections of the Geneva conventions, which among other things set forth rules for the treatment of prisoners of war.

The main thrust of the recent Supreme Court ruling, in a case known as Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, was that the administration had exceeded its authority by creating a system of tribunals without the approval of Congress. But the court also declared that the suspects fell under Article 3, which applies to all “armed combatants,’’ and that detainees were able to assert their rights under Article 3 in federal court.

President Bush last week said that he “would comply’’ with the court’s ruling, but he has given no details of how he would do so.

Since the court’s ruling, Republicans have appeared divided over whether to simply seek Congressional approval for a slightly modified tribunal system or to adopt a version of traditional courts-martial instead. The Pentagon memo reported today may simply reflect a decision that any new system that did not afford detainees the protections of Article 3 would not survive challenge in court.

Article 3 guarantees detainees a minimum level of rights expected in a civilized country. But what that includes and what procedures should govern their trials is expected to be the subject of lively Congressional debates all summer, beginning with today’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearings.

Unlike four years ago, when the Bush administration formulated its plans for military commissions at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the debate now seems certain to include the views of the military’s most senior uniformed lawyers, whose objections were brushed aside earlier.

John D. Hutson, a retired rear admiral who was the top uniformed lawyer in the Navy until 2000, is one of a number of retired senior military lawyers who have filed briefs challenging the administration’s legal approach.

“We’re at a crossroads now,” Admiral Hutson said. “We can finally get on the right side of the law and have a system that will pass Supreme Court and international scrutiny.”

He and some other current and former senior military lawyers are scheduled to testify this week before one of the three Congressional committees looking into the matter. He said he plans to urge Congress to avoid trying to get around last month’s Supreme Court ruling.

Beginning shortly after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the military lawyers warned that the administration’s plan for military commissions put the United States on the wrong side of the law and breached international standards. Most important, they warned, the plan could endanger members of the American military who might someday be captured by an enemy and treated the way detainees at Guantánamo have been.

But the lawyers’ sense of vindication at the Supreme Court’s 5-to-3 decision is tempered by growing anxiety over what may happen next. Several military lawyers, most of them retired, have said they are troubled by the possibility that Congress may restore the kind of system they have long argued against.

Donald J. Guter, Admiral Hutson’s successor, who has also since retired, said it would be a mistake for Congress to try to undo the Supreme Court ruling. Admiral Guter was one of several senior military judge advocates general, known as JAG’s, whose advice against forming the military commissions went pointedly unheeded.

“This was the concern all along of the JAG’s,” Admiral Guter said. “It’s a matter of defending what we always thought was the rule of law and proper behavior for civilized nations.”

One of the more intriguing hearings will be held Thursday, when the current top military lawyers in the Navy, Army, Air Force and Marines are due to testify before the Senate Armed Services Committee. The main question will be whether they express the same concerns as those now out of uniform.

Longstanding custom allows serving officers to give their own views candidly at Congressional hearings if specifically asked, and some in the Senate expect the current uniformed lawyers to generally urge that Congress not stray far from the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the system that details court-martial proceedings.

Senator Bill Frist, the Republican leader, told reporters on Monday that he did not expect the Senate to take up any legislation on the issue before the August recess of Congress.

TSince the Hamdan ruling was announced, some legislators had said they would consider rewriting the law specifically to make Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, no longer applicable.

“We should be embracing Common Article 3 and shouting it from the rooftops,” Admiral Hutson said. “They can’t try to write us out of this, because that means every two-bit dictator could do the same.”

He said it was “unbecoming for America to have people say, ‘We’re going to try to work our way around this because we find it to be inconvenient.’ ”

“If you don’t apply it when it’s inconvenient,” he said, “it’s not a rule of law.”

Brig. Gen. David M. Brahms, a retired officer who was the chief uniformed lawyer for the Marine Corps, said he expected experienced military lawyers to try to persuade Congress that the law should not be changed to sidestep the court’s ruling.

“Our central theme in all this has always been our great concern about reciprocity,” General Brahms said in an interview. “We don’t want someone saying they’ve got our folks as captives and we’re going to do to them exactly what you’ve done because we no longer hold any moral high ground.”

Senator Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, which will hold its hearing today, said: “The first people we should listen to are the military officers who have decades of experience with these issues. Their insights can help build a system that protects our citizens without sacrificing America’s ideals.”

Underlying the debate over how and whether to change the law on military commissions is a battle over the president’s authority to unilaterally prescribe procedures in a time of war. The Supreme Court’s decision was a rebuke to the administration’s assertions that President Bush’s powers should remain mostly unrestricted in a time of war.

Most military lawyers say they believe that few, if any, of the Guantánamo detainees could be convicted in a regular court-martial.

Lt. Col. Sharon A. Shaffer of the Air Force, the lawyer for a Sudanese detainee who has been charged before a military commission, said she was confident that she would win an acquittal for her client, who is suspected of being an accountant for Al Qaeda, under court-martial rules.

“For me it was awesome to see the court’s views on key issues I’ve been arguing for years,” Colonel Shaffer said.

The majority opinion, written by Justice John Paul Stevens, said the two biggest problems with the commissions were that the military authorities could bar defendants from being present at their own trial, citing security concerns, and that the procedures contained looser rules of evidence, even allowing hearsay and evidence obtained by torture, if the judge thought it would be helpful.

Colonel Shaffer said she was restrained under the rules from calling as a witness a Qaeda informant whose information had been used to charge her client. “I’m going to want for my client to face his accuser,” she said, “and for me to have an opportunity to impeach his testimony.”
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Better late than never.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

"Our central theme in all this has always been our great concern about reciprocity," General Brahms said in an interview. "We don't want someone saying they've got our folks as captives and we're going to do to them exactly what you've done because we no longer hold any moral high ground."

I don't really understand this argument. Al Qaeda and their ilk are going to cut the heads off our soldiers regardless of how their captured allies are treated at Gitmo.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It´s a matter of PR.

In the first case the terorirst could claim they have a reason to do this (cutting off heads of american soldiers) because of mistreatement of people at Gitmo.
        This makes them look good (or at least not too bad) in the eyes of other muslims as even the mighty USA doesn´t adhere to the common rules of the treatment of POWs.

But if now the USA starts to treat it´s POWs (even those at Gitmo) according to the geneva conventions will make such actions like killing american captives look much worse than it did before, as the terrorists cannot reason anymore that thexy do it beause the americans also mistreat their muslim brethren at Gitmo.

But of course it wouldn´t stop them from killing their captives.
        It would just be worse PR for the terorists whjo do this.

Oh and btw. good news
        Better late than never
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Good news.
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
            It´s a matter of PR.

In the first case the terorirst could claim they have a reason to do this (cutting off heads of american soldiers) because of mistreatement of people at Gitmo.
            This makes them look good (or at least not too bad) in the eyes of other muslims as even the mighty USA doesn´t adhere to the common rules of the treatment of POWs.

But if now the USA starts to treat it´s POWs (even those at Gitmo) according to the geneva conventions will make such actions like killing american captives look much worse than it did before, as the terrorists cannot reason anymore that thexy do it beause the americans also mistreat their muslim brethren at Gitmo.

But of course it wouldn´t stop them from killing their captives.
            It would just be worse PR for the terorists whjo do this.
            I don't buy this. Terrorist recruiters will tell potential terrorists whatever they want to hear in order to get them to join, and no one will ever tell them differently.

We should treat people nicely because it's the nice thing to do, not because of some non-existent PR influence in the Middle East. Their propaganda is better than ours.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't think it's so easy. Sure the die hard terrorists wouldn't care one way or the other, but then there's a large crowd of ordinary muslims who are in between, who can either radicalize or not (that's not to say this is all about PR, but IMO it plays a certain role - and rightly so).
              Blah

Comment

I doubt this will have any PR value in muslim countries. I guess it might have PR value in Europe.

Really, the detainees probably won't be treated much better than they are now, considering that they were being treated humanely anyways.

The value that I can see is one of convenience and discipline. If we treat all of the prisoners the same regardless of theater, then there will be less possibility that our guys will become confused about what is proper treatment for each detainee.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Funny but the memo makes clear that the DOD feels they already were in complaince with the Article 3.

DoD Memo on Terror Detainees - Jed Babbin

The new memorandum about the status of terrorist detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and elsewhere - signed by Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England on Friday -- is being widely misreported. The memo, which is reproduced in full below, doesn't say that the terrorists are now POWs under the Geneva Conventions or that they will be afforded the full rights and protections of the Geneva Conventions.

What it does say is that with the exception of the military tribunals tossed out by the Supreme Court's decision in Hamdan, the treatment of the terrorist enemy combatants - under the cited Defense Department and Army manuals - is believed to be consistent with Geneva standards. The media hype of this is entirely wrong.

There is no torture or humiliating or degrading treatment (ask Sen. McCain) of prisoners, and the International Committee of the Red Cross already has access to the prisoners at Gitmo. The only change that this memo may - and I stress may, not shall -- force is the revealing of secret locations at which terrorists are held, or closing these locations and moving all not there already to Gitmo. That, in itself, would be a huge change and a very destructive one. But the new memo doesn't decide that question. The press should quiet down a bit until we know more.
                  PDF included in article
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't really understand this argument. Al Qaeda and their ilk are going to cut the heads off our soldiers regardless of how their captured allies are treated at Gitmo.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Pentagon says all Gitmo detainees entitled to Geneva Convention Protections

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      At least they won't pull an Andrew Jackson and say "Now you enforce it". Then again, it may just be talk. Regardless:

Unlike some, the Uniformed Higher-ups do take that whole "Defend the Constitution" oath seriously. I have a suspicion that the memo was sitting somewhere waiting to be dusted off as soon as the SCOTUS made it's decision.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                      X