Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada: You've gone and managed to surprise me

Originally posted by Starchild
    I've stumbled upon a few things that have raised my eyebrows in surprise. Which is interesting considering I lived in Canada for a good four, five years without realising this stuff.

Is it true there isn't actually free trade between Canada's provinces? I've started reading about the Agreement on Internal Trade and the establishment of the British Columbia-Alberta free trade zone.

But come on...How can there be free trade between Canada and the rest of NAFTA or between the EU memberstates and not between the provinces of a country itself?

Is it like this in, say, the States?
    Canada's laws reguarding farmers and who those farmers must sell their crops to is down right communistic.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"communistic?"

Comment

Re: Canada: You've gone and managed to surprise me

Originally posted by Starchild
        I've stumbled upon a few things that have raised my eyebrows in surprise. Which is interesting considering I lived in Canada for a good four, five years without realising this stuff.

Is it true there isn't actually free trade between Canada's provinces? I've started reading about the Agreement on Internal Trade and the establishment of the British Columbia-Alberta free trade zone.

But come on...How can there be free trade between Canada and the rest of NAFTA or between the EU memberstates and not between the provinces of a country itself?

Is it like this in, say, the States?
        You're surprised that the Canadian system is built on internal regulation?

What country did you think you knew?

Ever heard of the Crow rate?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          "communistic?"
          It is, actually.

It is central planning wed to private enterprise.

The private enterprises have no choice but to sell through the central agency, by statute. Attempts to avoid the CWB on board mandated produce are met with prison sentences (short though they may be).

Growers could raise non-Board crops, but when you farm in wheat heaven that is not the optimum choice.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Oh, but the Board only applies to 3 out of 10 provinces.

You can sell your wheat freely if you farm in NWern Ontario.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

nafta kinda ****ed over mexican farmers since we subsidize the **** outta ours, and they got flooded with our cheap agriculture products.

it aint really free trade when you subsidize.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
              X