Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do hebrew speakers read without the vowels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: How do hebrew speakers read without the vowels?

Originally posted by St Leo
    Originally posted by lord of the mark
    IIUC, in some cases there are arguments among the rabbis about how to read a given word, that would not exist if the text were vowelized.

Yahweh vs Jehovah: The Cage Match

Two YHWHs enter, one leaves.

Thats easy, and has nothing much to do with the rabbis. The YHWH was, at least by late 2nd temple times, only pronounced by the high priest on Yom Kippur. after the temple was destroyed it wasnt pronounced at all, and so nobody knew anymore how it was pronounced. When it came up in a prayer or bible reading, it was pronounced "adonai" - "lord". When the masoretes in the 9th c vowelized the bible text, they vowelized the YHWH with the vowels for "adonai" as a reminder to pronounce adonai, and NOT to try to pronounce the YHWH. They didnt anticipate that anyone outside their culture would read their hebrew texts, since good christians by this time relied on Greek and Latin translations.

Then along come Protestants, who decide to go back and read the Hebrew bible, using the texts the Jews have. And unaware of the above tradition, pronounce the name Jehovah.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
      Salaam = Shalom :P
      Theres already a popular Hebrew song based on that equivalence.

OD YAVO SHALOM ALEINU
      PEACE WILL COME TO US
      (SALAAM)

Od yavo' shalom aleinu
      Od yavo' shalom aleinu
      Od yavo' shalom aleinu
      Ve al kulam (x2)

Salaam (Salaam)
      Aleinu ve al kol ha olam,
      Salaam, Salaam (x2)

Peace will come upon us
      Peace will come upon us
      Peace will come upon us
      and on everyone.

Salaam ('peace' in Arabic)
      On us and on everyone
      Salaam, Salaam
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Ths lttr s vwl.

As I said, vowels sometimes are written in Hebrew, the yod and alef letters being a point in case. So I typed the way I did intentionally.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

As I said, vowels sometimes are written in Hebrew, the yod and alef letters being a point in case. So I typed the way I did intentionally.
          but Yod, aleph, and Ayin all started historically as consonants (well Im not 100% certain about aleph, but i think so)

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

Bummer, that sounds like a really ineffective teaching method IMO.
            It sure is, and because everything in my textbook is rather vague and entirely in arabic it's not easy 'to get into it' if you catch my drift. There's not even a vocabulary so if I miss a few things I need to find out myself! On top of that, I even doubt very basic things.

Bleh I prefer oldskool teaching (with an enthusiastic teacher of course )

But like I said, there's no alternative here, unless I go and study arabic studies at university
            At least I will be able to ask directions (a bit ) when I will be visiting Jordan early october
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
            X