Questions for Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Americans

Yes tell me about your country. I can say I know quite a bit and I've been there for almost half a year if I combine all my visits, however few things are still in the air for me..

Like why do you give crappy places good names? As in, the better the street name sounds, the worse the neighbourhood is? Doesn't make sense, it's like giving a medal for a hard worker instead of a raise. I mean, it can't bring the property values up, a name that is. So why?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

You want it named ****hole Avenue?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Usually the name pre-dates the crappiness.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        You want it named ****hole Avenue?
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

So they pre-date it? Well, is it just a.. miracle, that every street has a prestigious name is actually .. not?

Sloww, YES!
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
            Usually the name pre-dates the crappiness.
            Yep.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

On the whole? No. We use place names of those who were there before us, individuals associated with the first settlement of the region, famous individuals of the region, or distinctive features of what used to be there.

Not really any effort to give good names to ****ty places.

Comment

One rule is constent though. If the street is named Martin Luther King Blvd then you want to avoid it like the plague.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Except in Tallahasee, FL, where it runs through a middle class white neighborhood. Yes, I was shocked.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Except in Tallahasee, FL, where it runs through a middle class white neighborhood. Yes, I was shocked.
                    Are the neighborhoods so divided that you can still classify a neighborhood as "white' ??
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Often the street with the classy name was in a high class neighborhood in the 19th or early 20th century, but as the city grew the more well to do moved towards the periphery of town or even to the suburbs, leaving the older neighborhoods to be settled by the less well to do. Older houses tend to lack the modern conveniences such as air conditioning that we Americans have come to expect, and streets in the older parts of town can't accomodate that second or third family car.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Are the neighborhoods so divided that you can still classify a neighborhood as "white' ??
                        Oh my yes. In fact one of the greastest factors in the decline of American cities was school desegregation. By the mid-1960s it became evident that merely forbidding localities from establishing seperate schools for blacks wasn't enough to ensure that black kids got the same education as white kids. The US Supreme Court ordered that municipalities bus students from district to district in order to spread out the ratio of blacks to whites in city schools. Whites raced for the city - county line in droves.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Give it time, give it time
                          Attached Files
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

If anyone ever saw the movie Boyz in da Hood, Lawrence Fishburne stated it so well, you dont see Liquor Stores and gunshops in upper class white neighborhoods, and thus by providing quick access to these two you help contribute to a social enigma, keeping the Brother down, because he may not be strong enough to rise above temptation

That is of course, One school of thought
                            Attached Files
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

What sort of names do you consider classy anyway?
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X