Reading Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Suggestions?

I'm looking for some interestig books this summer for my holidays. If anyone has any recommendations in the following categories, let me know.

History (19th - 20th century)
    Alternative History (anyone but Turtledove - I'd like to try someone new)
    Fantasy (just finished reading some George RR Martin - any similar authors out there?)
    Science-Fiction (hard sci-fi, space opera)
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Read Bernard Cornwell's "Warlord Chronicles" if you haven't already. That helped my George RR Martin withdraw.

The Winter King
    Enemy of God
    Excalibur

Excellent stuff!
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

SF: John Barnes - particularly his Million Open Doors series (Thousand Cultures I think is the name of the series proper)
      Alistair Reynolds- because you need a scots SF writer if you haven't read him already
      Iain M. Banks - best space-opera-with-meaning writer ... ever ...
      Charles Stross - SF/Fantasy, both, and all well written
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I just got Pushing Ice, a new one from Alistair Reynolds. I've heard of him, but never actually read him before.

Charles Stross... I very much enjoy the ideas he presents in his stories, but I find his characters lack depth.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Hmm... 19th-20th century history->

if you're into biographies I strongly recommend:

"The Amazing deception- the story of Chung-ling-soo"
          (I may have the title slightly wrong) it's a GREAT biography of an amazing con-man 'oriental-like' performer that details magic, mystery, and mayhem!

and if you're interested in Azerbaijan and Turkey I suggest- "The Orientalist" which is about a one "Levi Nussimbaum." an Azeri Jew who converted to islam and went by the nom de plume of Kurban Said and was a bestselling author in Nazi Germany!

Another excellent bit for late 20th century is the "Ballad of the Whiskey Robber" which is about a Hungarian professional hockey player and bank bandit who immigrated from Romania by sneaking across the border under a train.

--
          Fantasy- I just love to push Lawrence Watt-Evans. He writes like NO ONE ELSE in the genre. Read his Ethshar novels. They may not be like RR Martin... but I love Martin and I love Watt-Evans... both of them construct very believable worlds and have very unique voices.

Watt-Evans however, makes a big point about magic- his entire tales are about how a magic system can function rationally in a fantastic world.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

be an accountant

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Sci-Fi:
              Solaris: Stanislaw Lem

Isaac Asimov: The Foundation
              bleh

Comment

There is SO much good stuff out there.

For history and fiction together, I cannot recommend Collen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series highly enough.

For something a touch more fictional/alternative, Jack Whyte's "Camulod Chronicle." Try the first book and see how you like it.

For hard SF, either Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars" series, Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series, or Steven Baxter's "Space" trilogy.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                  For history and fiction together, I cannot recommend Collen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series highly enough.
                  I'll second that! I'm on the fourth book and thoroughly enjoying it.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                    There is SO much good stuff out there.

For something a touch more fictional/alternative, Jack Whyte's "Camulod Chronicle." Try the first book and see how you like it.

For hard SF, either Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars" series, Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series, or Steven Baxter's "Space" trilogy.
                    You call Gap Hard Sci Fi?

Better than Gap, and same hardness, go with Bujold or Cherryh (or Renolds or Banks)

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Oops, you're right. I should have put it under "twisted space opera".

Oh, and one more series I forgot, one of the few in recent years I;ve really liked: Richard Morgan's "Takeshi Kovacs" novels. If you like a little violence with your SF, that is.

And, in a nod to Canadians everywhere, you can't go wrong with Robert Sawyer.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I don't generally like hard SciFi, I didn't like Red Mars (Didn't finish it).

I have read stuff by Baxter, I don't know if I read Space.

I liked the GAP series, just didn't think that it is near as good as others (Cherryh is my favorite).

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Patrick O'Brian (RIP) Series starts with 'Master and Commander'.

Novels with a historical basis set during the Napoleonic era from the side of the English. The characters are fictional though I feel I know em all while the ship to ship action is acurately depicted from history. Though the characters weren't actually there you couldn't tell it.

Best written books ever.

Patrick O'Brian

Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                            Read Bernard Cornwell's "Warlord Chronicles" . . .

The Winter King
                            Enemy of God
                            Excalibur

Excellent stuff!
                            Zounds! That was my first thought!

Comment

Re: Reading Suggestions?

Originally posted by our_man
                              History (19th - 20th century)
                              Can you back that up a few years? The first 6-8 books in Dewey Lambin's Alan Lurie [sp?] series (starting with King's Coat and The French Admiral) is wonderful! Alan's a horny, conniving, toadying, unprincipled rackhell forced from his life of drinking, debauchering and gambling into the navy in the late 1700's.

The series slows down about halfway through when Alan gets married, becomes a captain and starts acting responsonsibly but until then, they're wonderful!
                              Last edited by Zkribbler; July 11, 2006, 20:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X