Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should women be allowed entry into a shrine to male celibacy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should women be allowed entry into a shrine to male celibacy ?

Should they ?

There is a male celibate God , Lord Ayappa , into whose main temple women between the ages of 10 and 50 ( basically , fertile women ) are not allowed . The reason the temple authorities give for not allowing women is that they would be totally inappropriate inside a temple to male celibacy , where men who have undertaken an arduous 41-day pilgrimage and a vov of celibacy for that duration are supposed to visit . They claim that it would be as inappropriate as allowing women into a celibates' monastery , or men into a nunnery .

Now there is a ruckus in so-called "intellectual circles" in India ( mostly blind imitators of the West , mostly relating to issues about political correctness ) about an actress who managed to sneak into the temple fifteen years ago and touched the idol . Fifteen years after the incident ( that is , a few days ago ) , the temple authorities received a sign from their lord ( by means of the periodic ritual that they conduct , the same ritual which told them that women should not be allowed ( in 1985 ) ) that he was unhappy . The actress , most probably seeking publicity , declared that she had managed to sneak into the temple and to touch the idol .

Now the fallout from this is that the priests are preparing a purification ritual so that whatever defilement may have occurred is cleansed , and that all the major media personalities have thrown their weight against the temple , saying that even it totally violates the core principles of the temple , women should be allowed in . The High Court had ruled that it was permissible for the temple to deny women entry , as celibacy and the periodic ritual to divine the Lord's wishes was a core belief of the Ayappa cult , which could not be compromised .

My own stance on this is that it if I want to build a temple which is accessible to only men , or only women , then that is my choice , and that the government had no right to interfere . If , however , I take money from the government , I must allow all Hindus entry , unless the money is taken from the government after they have been informed of the policies of the temple and after the government has acquiesced to allow the temple to abide by those policies ( as happened in this case ) .

It's a guy thing. I see no reason for women to be there. Typicly they would want to go because they aren't allowed.

I just had a thought. Dis should announce he's celebate for life for philosophic reasons and just watch the girls line up to help him.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

As for topic:
      Of course, it´s a male thing.
      As long as men also aren´t allowed to enter into temples for women (things like a temple for the goddess of monthly menstruation or the like ) if such things exist in india there´s no reason to allow women access into a temple for men.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

i was about to say why in the name of Shiva does does any of this crap matter when I saw this which I will stress only to make this thread into something worthy of debate...

If , however , I take money from the government , I must allow all Hindus entry
        Hindus ONLY?!
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's not a secular country. Not everyone has our sense of fair play.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            It's not a secular country. Not everyone has our sense of fair play.
            Actually , India is a secular country . Says so right in the preamble to our Constitution , and is there in all the laws . All citizens are equal before the law .

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
              i was about to say why in the name of Shiva does does any of this crap matter when I saw this which I will stress only to make this thread into something worthy of debate...

Hindus ONLY?!
              Of course . Non-Hindus can be allowed into all areas of the temple except the garbhagriha ( the Holy of Holies , translated as the womb of the temple , there the actual idol is housed , the inner sacntum , which constitutes about 5 % to 10 % of the temple ) . If somebody who is a non-Hindu wants to bow down to the idol , that is usually not a problem , as most temples are constructed in a manner in which the idol is visible from outside the garbhagriha . If a non-Hindu is just curious about temples , or is a tourist , that is also not a problem , as they are allowed . In the garbhagriha , however , only the priests and Hindus are allowed ( in some temples - others allow everybody ) .

Similarly , Muslims can take money from the government and they must allow all Muslims to enter ( irrespective of , say , whether they are Shia of Sunni ) .

Comment

Religion is all lies. Down with it.

Being celibate.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Similarly , Muslims can take money from the government and they must allow all Muslims to enter ( irrespective of , say , whether they are Shia of Sunni ) .
                  Why is this? As far as I can tell, while Sunnis and Shias originate from the same religion, they are now different. If an Anglican church had an 'Anglicans only' section would they be required to admit Catholics?
                  LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Celibacy of 41 days? What a laugh...

Comment

There is a male celibate God , Lord Ayappa , into whose main temple women between the ages of 10 and 50 ( basically , fertile women ) are not allowed . The reason the temple authorities give for not allowing women is that they would be totally inappropriate inside a temple to male celibacy , where men who have undertaken an arduous 41-day pilgrimage and a vov of celibacy for that duration are supposed to visit . They claim that it would be as inappropriate as allowing women into a celibates' monastery , or men into a nunnery .

Sacrifice without temptation is no sacrifice. Let the women in, but make bikinis mandatory.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Religion is all lies. Down with it.

You will be in my prayers, Oerdin. I hope that someday you will find the Way...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

A better question would be Why would a woman want to enter such a building?
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            Celibacy of 41 days? What a laugh...
                            I'm not sure about that , but I am sure that he is a God of celibates and is himself a celibate .

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                              Hindus ONLY?!
                              Not a surprise, coming from a Hindu nationalist. Of course, if the money is taken from the government, it should be open to ALL!
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X