Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So have you ever participated in, or personally witnessed election fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're losers. We had this election for student representatives where everyone had 3 votes. I voted for myself, some cute girl and another guy. I knew that guy would get only few votes so I voted for him to support him (he's nice and woulddo a godo job, he's just not very ... voteable ). When the votes were counted it turned out he only got one vote (number of voters around 25 only). One vote.

That day only two people knew that the single vote he got was not his own

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
      Does voting for yourself count as fraud?

Honestly, I'd have thought this the normal thing to do, but I realize many people don't do it because they think it immoral.
      As to those who think it immoral to vote for themselves: I'd be curious to know who they'd vote for . . . their opponents, maybe?

Comment

I knew a guy who voted for his opponent in a small election for a student organization, and then lost to her by one vote.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
          I knew a guy who voted for his opponent in a small election for a student organization, and then lost to her by one vote.
          Was it this guy:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Aabraxan
            As to those who think it immoral to vote for themselves: I'd be curious to know who they'd vote for . . . their opponents, maybe?
            When 7 people are chosen out of a dozen who volunteer, with one voter 3 votes, you can easily vote for other candidates without feeling like diminuishing your own chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
              See this could never happen to me

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                I am from New York and our town is unbelivably democratic... I don't think a Republican has ever won an election here in my life time, for any position. We have a decent # of independants from time to time though.

No real reason to report the fraud.
                And you complain about the apathy of this country's citizens?
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

The only election fraud I witnessed was when some candidate went to the nearby retirement home to lobby the old people to go voting.
                  :Confused:

How is this voter fraud or was this a joke?
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

It isn't fraud at all.

I did this in the same representatives election I talked of earlier. Only that I even talked to my friends about it and got my friends to the election to vote for me. This isn't fraud either.

Comment

Not very juicy stuff folks. Hasn't anybody seen a person turned away who had a right to vote, or seen more votes come in in a ballot box than there were voters in a small town? Or how about having a "special patrol" go to people who had not voted and get them to fill out a backdated absentee ballot to swing the election the other way? These things do happen.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

In France, it is supposedly illegal to influence citizens on election day. The campaign ends on election day at 00:00
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

lets see, i was once a poll watcher for a campaign in NY (IE not an election board administrator, but someone who represented a campaign when the votes were counted to make sure no hanky panky). I was just 17 at the time and poll watchers were supposed to be at least 18, but nobody shooed me away. Is that fraud?

I ran for a VERY minor position (party county committee) against the local party machine, and they came to my house (i lived with my parents at the time) with a subpoena relating to a challenge to our petitions (our petitions were fine, this was routine intimidation) The lawyer for the reform club i was affiliated with said to ignore it, it would be dismissed, and it was.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            In France, it is supposedly illegal to influence citizens on election day. The campaign ends on election day at 00:00

Here its only illegal to campaign ("electioneer") within a certain distance (varies by state) its routine for campaign workers to stand at the edge of the forbidden zone, handing out liter and talking to voters. Sometimes a bit of a carnival atmosphere (well if you have a wonkish definition of a carnival).

Used to be that campaigns would drive voters to the polls if they had transportation problems, thought that doesnt seem to be done these days, at least in Virginia.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

[q=LOTM]its routine for campaign workers to stand at the edge of the forbidden zone, handing out liter and talking to voters.[/q]

I assume you meant 'literature', but its a nice Freudian slip .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

litter

Frankly I consider those stupid commercials to be fraud ... defrauding me of watching GOOD commercials by companies whose business I might potentially visit
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X