The Crusades.. a book recomendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crusades.. a book recomendation?

Nothing too heavy, just a good book giving the battles, politics, religion behind them and leaving the reader (me) with an insight into the times. I've just finished a book on Tamerlane and I'm intrigued as to just how weak (and why we were weak) the Europeans were at that time.
    Last edited by reds4ever; July 5, 2006, 21:09.

.....and no, I don't want an online 'poly lecture on the subject, just a book recommendation.....

Comment

I'm reading 1453 by Roger Crowley. It's about the fall of Constantinople.

I knwo it ain't the Crusades, but still...
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
        I'm reading 1453 by Roger Crowley. It's about the fall of Constantinople.

I knwo it ain't the Crusades, but still...
        A good book? It seems a really interesting time, for the first time walls against gunpower, muslims against christians.....

Comment

No, gun powder was used against walls well before that.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

As were Muslims against Christians

Comment

a book you muppets.....

Comment

Pop-up version?

Actually, I'm interested too.

...in a pop-up version
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

A pop-up book of the crusades? Would it have the little tabs you can pull to make the pop-up knight wave his arm and bisect the little pop-up heathen infant with his sword? If this hasn't been done before, it should be.

WRT the original post, I'm standing next to several bookshelves full of western history books belonging to my dad, though I don't know which are really good. He did really like "The Templars" by Piers Paul Read. I got him that for Christmas one year. It's not on the crusades themselves, but on one of the most famous knight orders in them, so...
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Pop-up version?
                    Or one I can colour in, I'm not fussy really....

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

A good book? It seems a really interesting time, for the first time walls against gunpower, muslims against christians.....
                      I'm enjoying it.

I would also recommend Carnage and Culture: Nine battles on the road to Western Supremacy by Victor Davis Hanson.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I'd recommend this one

Amin Maalouf - Crusades Through Arab Eyes

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes (Saqi Essentials) [Maalouf, Amin] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Crusades Through Arab Eyes (Saqi Essentials)
                        CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                          I'd recommend this one

Amin Maalouf - Crusades Through Arab Eyes

My newspaper just wrote an article on 'The first Crusade' by Thomas Asbridge which looks like an interesting book on the late 11th century debut of the crusaders.
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Thomas Madden for basics, Oxford for more in-depth.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Thanks chaps, Madden it is!!

Comment

Working...
                              X