Graphics card fan problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card fan problem

Thing is, the fan on my 9800 Pro just stopped working, and my card overheats if I try to do anything taxing, like play games. This is not good.

Anyone have any experience of graphics card fans going wrong? I took a quick look at it and nothing appears displaced with the fan connection.

It's a 3 year old card, not too surprising it's bit the dust. Time for a new graphics card methinks.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

The fan can just die ... mine did a few years back. Ball bearings wearing out or some such.

It shouldn't be expensive to replace the fan, though. Alternatively, you can try with a well-placed case fan, which would help a little at least (depending on the card, i'm not sure how hot 9800s usually run).
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hot, it appears.

I'm sure buying a new card is the easiest option, but forking out when I don't really need an upgrade (WoW, GW and Civ4 all play fine) just because the ball bearing wore out on the fan or whatever is a bit annoying.

Comment

Replacing the fan is pretty easy and far cheaper than getting a new card.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Stay cool with an effective CPU air cooler from Overclockers UK featuring exceptional thermal performance, great aesthetics, and even RGB lighting!

How about the bottom one here? How can I check whether it fits the card? It says no need for a bracket, and I don't need to change the heatsinks I think.

Comment

Apparently these are quite good

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Graphics cards RULE!!! WOOT½! I'm the #1 FAN!Q!! YEAAAH!

In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The bottom one is an 'extra' fan not meant as a standalone. It would certainly be helpful (it's an 80mm, which is basically a case fan) but does not replace the fan that blows down onto the graphics card.

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

The one that's "out" at 6.95 would probably be the cheapest, best one if you can find it in stock somewhere... the 16.95 one is great, but more expensive (but in stock )

Comment

Go with this one

Comment

Hmm, that looks decent, and £14 is better than £200 I guess.

I presume it's not too much of a pain to install? I built my machine, but haven't ever changed a graphics card fan.

Comment

Just some screws iirc.

Comment

And of course, after installing a new cooler, be sure to overclock a bit...
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I'm a HUGE fan of overclocking also!
                            YEEHAAA!!! #1 baby!
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hmm, had time to do a little research tonight and I think I'll go with Whaleboy's suggestion. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I'm on leave though, since I doubt it will fit through the letterbox.

In the meantime since I have 4 case fans I have taken one off, laid my machine on its side, and rested the fan on top of the graphics card and sound card, so it points at the hottest side of the graphics card. It appears to be working as I just played an hour of Civ with no artifacting.

Comment

Working...
                              X