How's this for a resume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this for a resume?

I tried to implement some of the advice from the other thread. How is it now?

QUALIFICATIONS
    I am a Finance major at Temple University seeking an opportunity to use my skills and talents to gain an entry-level position which would provide the foundation for a managerial career.

As a shift manager, I have daily actively managed groups of up to ten people and administrated larger numbers
    through scheduling in order to attain and exceed sales goals while balancing labor and product costs, regularly
    keeping labor costs at least 15% lower than other shift managers at my location.

I have daily handled cash amounts in excess of several thousand and accurately made deposits. I have used
    statistical models for inventory management, forecasting, and other operations management tasks and have
    maintained and filed financial, operational, and payroll records. Finally, I designed an algorithm for projecting future sales which is more accurate than the previous moving average system used by Checkers.

EDUCATION
    2003-2006 Temple University, expected graduation date: Spring 2008 GPA: 3.6
    1999-2003 J. R. Masterman Lab & Demonstrations, Diploma GPA: 4.0

EMPLOYMENT
    12/04-7/06 Checkers at 7115 Stenton Avenue and at Broad and Erie in Philadelphia
    Shift manager whose duties include scheduling, inventory management, and accounting. Designed an algorithm for projecting future sales which is more accurate than the previous moving average system used by Checkers.

7/03-9/04 Floor Supervisor, McDonalds at Germantown and Chelten Avenues in Philadelphia
    Shift management duties as a night shift/closing floor supervisor.

AVAILABILITY
    Available for part-time or full-time work all days and at all times, including weekends and holidays.

References are available upon request.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

You forgot:

Hobbies: chatting on internet forums under the pseudonym of a nazi architect
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I would suggest not repeating the algorithm bit, or at least not doing it practically verbatim.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

no mention of ferrets?
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Much, much better, IMO. Just a few more things: Shouldn't it say "in excess of several thousand dollars?" I agree with Lorizael: don't repeat the algorithm line. Now just make sure to proofread several times over, and give it to someone else to proofread a couple of times. Do not rely on your spell/grammar check.

Comment

hmmm... seems like the kind of jobs you'd be qualified for won't require a resume, but rather, you would be filling out an application... it's good practice though

This sentence bothered me. It is one long run-on sentence.

As a shift manager, I have daily actively managed groups of up to ten people and administrated larger numbers
            through scheduling in order to attain and exceed sales goals while balancing labor and product costs, regularly
            keeping labor costs at least 15% lower than other shift managers at my location.
            perhaps change this part to:

"As a shift manager, I have actively managed groups of up to ten people on a daily basis."

And rewrite the other parts, giving them their own sentences.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You have half a cover letter in your resume. I'd opt for a quick (two or three line) highlight of your skills, and put the rest in point form under the applicable areas (work exp, education, etc.).

Oh, and ongoing education and employment should be denoted "June 2003-present". Bookending it with another date implies that you are no longer employed/attending school.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

There is no "I" in resume!
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

but there is a "me"!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's pretty good. I'd warn however to focus on the management skills and not so much on the technical things.

I was in your position a few years ago - economics major, went into retail management. Now i'm in a hiring position for people like you

Although we don't really take resumes until the interview (online application and all that), I can say that the things that retail and/or similar industries (ie, Fast Food) are looking for in a resume/interview, are:

1) experience in customer service
                      2) experience handling money
                      3) *qualities* conducive to customer service

and for supervisory positions:
                      4) management experience (# of people, specifics of how you managed them - did you have disciplinary powers, team goals you were held accountable for, etc.)
                      5) understanding of customer service - how to please a difficult customer, etc.

One thing that's a concern, is someone who has a good technical understanding of the job, but is either OVERqualified, and thus will be bored and/or potentially detrimental to the company as a result; or is not good at customer service, because they're more a 'numbers' person and won't get along well with the other, probably less well qualified, staff and/or won't deal well with difficult customers.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

My advice is to sex this up with an email address and maybe move the ****ing qualifications to a cover letter.

Comment

If you need help with interview practice, btw, feel free to ask If it's a behavioral interview, which most major retail positions are, they're all roughly the same I'm not as experienced as some of the people here, but if they're not available i'm happy to help
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

He'll have to piss in a cup, ooh ahh.

Comment

"Administrated"? Ye gods, the horrors....
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X