Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know where I can find information on local gun laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know where I can find information on local gun laws?

preferribly on the internet so I don't have to go to some goverment building. . My waking hours just don't permit that.

The funny thing is I have no idea what is against the law and what is legal. It would seem there would be a place to go to find out what is illegal. How am I supposed to know when I'm breaking the law?

hmm, I did find this. I didn't realize I was supposed to regeister my firearm. Oops.

Comment

At least those which can be concealed.
      Sounds like you don´t need to register your MGs and Assault Rifles though
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I found this interesting. It's not an official goverment website, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

It says it's okay to conceal a weapon in your vehicle or home without a permit as long as it's not concealed by your person, or in a personal item (such as a purse) carried by you.

that's how I read it. Is that how you guys interpret the following?:

Can I Conceal a Firearm Without a Permit?
        Without a CCW permit, a firearm may be concealed in your home or vehicle as long as it is not on your person, concealed by your person, or in a personal item (such as a purse, backpack, briefcase) carried by you.
        I'm actually asking these questions for a friend (I don't carry a purse, honest ). Would it be possible for her to drive around with a gun in her purse in her car as long as she wasn't carrying the purse? (she keeps it behind the passenger seat- she doesn't carry it when working).

Comment

Yes sounds this way.

You aren´t allowed to walk around with an unregistered concealed firearm
          (or conceal it in a way that you can carry it around with you without anybody noticing it),
          but you can keep it in your car or a house.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Conceal as opposed to carry openly?

So you can walk around with a gun openly but not conceal it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

yes, for instance, hip holsters are okay. Just like the old west movies. People might look at you funny (especially police), but you are allowed to do so.

Comment

I just have to pay the fee and I'll have a carry permit, but I'll not bother to pay I think. I did the class, given by my stepfather. I out shot him with his own .357.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

These answers depend on the state you are in. For instance Virginia permits open carry, but D.C. requires a license to carry at all.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

Yup, it's the American way. Yeeee haaaa.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Dis, you need to go to the local PD and inquire there. Here in Oregon you have to take a really basic course and blow away a target without shooting yourself in the process. The reall issue is whether you are a law abiding citizen. Anything on your record, unpaid traffic tickets, frequenting prostitutes, and you can forget it.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Anybody know where I can find information on local gun laws?

Originally posted by Dis
                        preferribly on the internet so I don't have to go to some goverment building. . My waking hours just don't permit that.

The funny thing is I have no idea what is against the law and what is legal. It would seem there would be a place to go to find out what is illegal. How am I supposed to know when I'm breaking the law?
                        Each state has it own rules. In Calif., you can carry a gun in a holster but the gun cannot be loaded in a city or town. In your home the gun can be loaded, but if a kid get it and shoot it, you will be arested for not having it locked up.
                        Some months ago, some guy carry his rifle from his house to his car, and some lady saw him and called the police. He was going hunting and his gun was not loaded.

Also in Calif. if you are military past or present, you do have to go to school for shooting.
                        Last edited by Joseph; July 7, 2006, 22:54.

Comment

Re: Re: Anybody know where I can find information on local gun laws?

Mistake

Comment

Noone reads your threads.

Comment

....and if your in NYC and want a conceal permit, forgta-bout-it. They never give them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X