New York Subway help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Subway help wanted

So i'm arriving at JFK and will be staying at the Radisson in Lexington Ave .

i've seen that there is the Airtrain from JFK to Howard Beach. Do I read this map (pdf) correctly that i can take the A route till the 50st station?

tia
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

You could take the A as far as the Port Authority (42nd Street). At that point, you'd have to switch to an E train to get you crosstown to Lexington Avenue.

If you'd rather not change subways in Manhattan (I wouldn't, especially if you're gonna be toting a lot of luggage), you can take the AirTrain to Sutphin & Archer (Jamaica), then change to the E train there and take it to Lexington. There wouldn't be any difference in cost.
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Originally posted by reismark
      If you'd rather not change subways in Manhattan (I wouldn't, especially if you're gonna be toting a lot of luggage)
      dangerous?

you can take the AirTrain to Sutphin & Archer (Jamaica), then change to the E train there and take it to Lexington. There wouldn't be any difference in cost.
      sounds good. i'll study the map a bit more and get back to you if i have any questions

thanx!!

Comment

It's not especially dangerous - just that it's not the easiest of tasks to get a lot of luggage through a subway turnstile even once. I figure that unless you're in a time crunch, it's easier to take the route that involves the fewest transfers (despite it not being the quickest).

If you're willing to spend a little money, you can simply do the direct thing and get a cab at the airport that will take you directly to the hotel for a flat rate of $45.
        Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
        Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Isn't there a bus from JFK to Penn Station? I remember taking that and from there walking to 43th were my hotel was located. Of course I always travel with only one bag. Everything that doesn't fit in that I won't be needing
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
            Everything that doesn't fit in [one bag] I won't be needing
            Listen to this man of wisdom, everyone

Comment

checked the map, this looks to be the best way. it seems like it's quickest too( the E route is more straight towards manhattan rather than the A one), or not?

Comment

The E from Jamaica is faster, since the A runs local in Brooklyn and Queens, and only Express in Manhattan, while the E runs express in Queens and local in Manhattan.

That said, one correction for Reismark, there is no going through turnstyles when switching from the A to the E.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  That said, one correction for Reismark, there is no going through turnstyles when switching from the A to the E.
                  True enough, but you'd still would want to avoid changing trains as much as possible with a lot of luggage, even if it didn't involve going through turnstiles, no?

Comment

Originally posted by reismark

True enough, but you'd still would want to avoid changing trains as much as possible with a lot of luggage, even if it didn't involve going through turnstiles, no?
                    Generally, though at 42nd the E and A stop on the same platform.

Now, if it were some of the IRC lines, or at 34th Street, were the E and the A stop and different platforms, it would be a pain.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                    X