Can I get (Time and a half)*1.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get (Time and a half)*1.5?

I've worked 126 hrs in the past two weeks... 46 hrs of overtime. Can I get (time and a half)*1.5 for the last 6 hours? Is there a federal law for this?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Albert, what do you do for a living?

It sometimes depends upon your job description.
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Just curious,what does that mean "Can I get (time and a half)*1.5 for the last 6 hours? Is there a federal law for this?"?

And doesn't it depend on your company? Here in Germany you either get extra money or you can have more free days in slower times, depending on your business. Some have laso a kind of overtime cap - if you work more than a certain amount per month you don't get those additional benefits anymore (like that extry money etc.)
      Blah

Comment

Troll:

Manager at a Checkers, a fast food restaurant.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

BeBro:

in the US, thanks to laws passed over a century ago (is that what May Day is all about?), people who work over 40 hrs in a week, excepting those in certain capacities such as medical ones, will receive compensation for 1.5x where x is the number of hours worked over 40.

Since I've worked 40 hrs of overtime already, I'm wondering if I'll get 1.5(1.5x) for the remaining 6 hrs.

Comment

Ahh, thx
            Blah

Comment

I just realized this is a moot question because I didn't get 80 hrs in one week... i must be exhausted.

nevertheless, the question stands for future reference.

Comment

Just make sure that they do it; employers get very squirrally about time and a half, especially in food service.
                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

There are laws regulating how much you can work total, but nothing requiring timex1.5x1.5 as far as I know. A lot depends on your state, which I think is PA based on your location quote...

Anyway, just be glad you're not exempt (as you could be, if they wanted to pay you a salaried wage, assuming you make over the state's level for that)

... as i am 60 hour weeks for no overtime FTW!
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Manager? Like the top manager or like a shift supervisor? That would make a difference.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I doubt the applicable laws would contemplate people getting into the double-overtime situation so i see getting that as unlikley

Here in Calgary they have a real lack of fast-food workers. I know Burger King was STARTING regular workers at $11 hour but even then couldn't fill their staff. They are actually closing 5 Burger Kings on Sundays from now on and if things don't improve we will likely see similar things from fast food restaurants across the board
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

@ Albert

I misunderstood you, you should get 1.5* on anything over 40 hours in a work week.

This "clincher" may be being hung with the albatross of "manager".

I am a manager and have been going on 15 years. I am salaried and get a nice salary but my salary states 40 hours ............................. PLUS

I get a nice bonus based on percentage of bottom line, which helps.

But am also available 24-7.

Albert, you are your own man, but one has to question all them hours and what it relates in compensation vs committment.

As for the law, sounds like you being paid correctly.

Max hours comes into play in Department of Transportation rules not sure about the field your in unless of course you are a minor
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

IIRC, the right to overtime is based more on state laws than on federal laws. That is, "managers" are not entitled to overtime, but who and who is not a manager depends upon state law.

In California, there's been a whole stream of class action lawsuits filed by "managers," who were working most of their hours as cashiers, stock clerks, etc. I haven't been watching them too closely, but IIRC, these cases have been focusing on whether more hours are spent doing line-work or managerial-work.

You probably have a state Labor Commission. It might be worth a short call to them to find out what your rights are...or, if you think you might be willing to go to the mattress, call a lawfirm that handles employment cases.

Comment

It depends on the state and the job. Some jobs give you overtime pay for any day you work over 8 hours. I'm guessing this ain't one of those.

For example, in Illinois, any week you work over 40 hours (unless you work for a resteraunt, inwhich case the limit is 45 hours), you are eligible for time and a half for the time over 40 but under 60 hours. For any hours over sixty, you are eligible for double pay. In Florida, on the other hand, there is no overtime (unless you're a farm worker), so you have to go by Federal guidelines, which aren't very strict.

If you work in a supervisory position or make over a certain amount of money, you are ineligible for overtime pay. Since you're a manager, you are very likely ineligibile for OT. However, many fast food places give bonuses for their managers depending on how profitable their stores are.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

no, i'm not ineligible for OT. I've gotten it MANY times before... just never this much OT...

Comment

Working...
                              X