No announcement yet.

Surgeon chap says secondhand smoke bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevermind, your math isn't as wrong as I thought, at least for CT. The current tax is apparently $1.51/pack. My bad. The rest is markup. Hows about that, eh?

How is that freakin' possible, btw? I thought the tax was way higher... (goes back to google).

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Cigarette Tax Increases 2000 - 2006

Increase New Rate/ Effective
      Per Pack Pack of 20 Date
      Alabama $0.26 $0.425 5/18/2004
      Arizona $0.58 $1.18 11/25/2002
      Alaska $0.60 $1.60 1/1/2005
      Arkansas $0.04 $0.34 7/1/2001
      Arkansas $0.25 $0.59 6/1/2003
      Colorado $0.64 $0.84 1/1/2005
      Connecticut $0.61 $1.11 4/3/2002
      Connecticut $0.40 $1.51 3/15/2003
      Delaware $0.31 $0.55 8/1/2003
      District of Columbia $0.35 $1.00 1/1/2003
      Georgia $0.25 $0.37 7/1/2003
      Hawaii
      $0.20 $1.20 10/1/2002
      Hawaii $0.10 $1.30 7/1/2003
      Hawaii $0.10 $1.40 7/1/2004
      Idaho $0.29 $0.57 6/1/2003
      Illinois $0.40 $0.98 7/1/2002
      Indiana $0.40 $0.555 7/1/2002
      Kansas $0.46 $0.70 7/1/2002
      Kansas $0.09 $0.79 7/1/2003
      Kentucky $0.27 $0.30 6/1/2005
      Louisiana $0.04 $0.24 8/1/2000
      Louisiana $0.12 $0.36 8/1/2002
      Maine $0.26 $1.00 6/1/2001
      Maine $1.00 $2.00 9/19/2005
      Maryland $0.34 $1.00 7/1/2002
      Massachusetts $0.75 $1.51 7/25/2002
      Michigan $0.50 $1.25 8/1/2002
      Michigan $0.75 $2.00 7/1/2004
      Minnesota $0.75 $1.23 8/1/2005
      Minnesota (sales tax) $0.255 $1.485 8/1/2005
      Montana $0.52 $0.70 5/1/2003
      Montana $1.00 $1.70 1/1/2005
      Nebraska $0.30 $0.64 10/1/2002
      Nevada $0.45 $0.80 7/22/2003
      New Hampshire $0.28 $0.80 7/1/2005
      New Jersey $0.70 $1.50 7/1/2002
      New Jersey $0.55 $2.05 7/1/2003
      New Jersey $0.35 $2.40 7/1/2004
      New Mexico $0.70 $0.91 7/1/2003
      New York City $1.42 $1.50 7/2/2002
      New York State $0.55 $1.11 3/1/2000
      New York State $0.39 $1.50 4/3/2002
      North Carolina $0.25 $0.30 7/1/2005
      North Carolina $0.05 $0.35 7/1/2006
      Ohio $0.31 $0.55 7/1/2002
      Ohio $0.70 $1.25 1/1/2005
      Oklahoma $0.80 $1.03 7/1/2004
      Oregon $0.60 $1.28 11/1/2002
      Oregon -$0.10 $1.18 1/1/2004
      Pennsylvania $0.69 $1.00 7/15/2002
      Pennsylvania $0.35 $1.35 7/1/2004
      Rhode Island $0.32 $1.32 5/1/2002
      Rhode Island $0.39 $1.71 7/15/2003
      Rhode Island $0.75 $2.46 7/1/2004
      South Dakota $0.20 $0.53 3/18/2003
      Tennessee $0.07 $0.20 7/15/2002
      Utah $0.18 $0.695 5/6/2002
      Vermont $0.49 $0.93 7/1/2002
      Vermont $0.26 $1.19 7/1/2003
      Virginia $0.175 $0.20 7/1/2004
      Virginia $0.10 $0.30 7/1/2005
      Washington $0.60 $1.425 1/1/2002
      Washington $0.60 $2.025 7/1/2005
      West Virginia $0.38 $0.55 5/1/2003
      Wisconsin $0.18 $0.77 10/1/2001
      Wyoming $0.48 $0.60 7/1/2003

U.S. Median* $0.79 1/1/2006
      A pack of smokes here in CT is not $8 - those are NYC prices (and as you can see, NY State + NYC tax = $3, double CT's tax). Still, it will run you about $5/pack. Pre-tax, that's $3.50/pack. As opposed to about $1.50 if you buy online. Uh-huh.

There's a reason Phillip Morris & friends are still raking it in.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

By the way... it's not the nicotine that causes health problems... it's all the crap that comes in the smoke

And no, not all people who smoke will have health problems related to their smoking. Not all smokers die from causes due to their smoking... And what about social smokers... those people that have occasional smokes when they are out partying... walking down the streets of Chicago on a regular basis and inhaling fumes from buses and cars is more likely to cause you health problems than smoking an occasional cig...

Actually... there is no real proof that smoking causes cancer. I'm not denying that it does or doesn't... but you are implying that there is proof that if you smoke you will have health related problems... ignoring that some smokers (mostly the light users) may never have a smoke related medical problem.

There is just as much proof that fast food is bad for you... that riding a motorcyle without a helmet is bad for you... the drinking is bad for you...

If you want to ban one for health reasons... you have to ban them all.
        Sorry to be so blatant in disagreeing with you, but you are wrong.

Nicotine causes the platlets in your blood to become "sticky" and causes arterial blockage. While some people have a higher tolerence to this than others, there is anecdotal evidence that eventually you will have a blockage as the result of nicotine alone.

Secondly, It is FACT that smoking will cause COPD given enough time.

There is a difference between a corelation that a behavior is unhealthy and the fact that a behavior WILL cause a disease. Your points are well taken, but they avoid the central point here. You are talking about "at risk" behaviors and I am talking about medical certainty.

If it was just cancer or just heart disease, then you would have an argument. The evidence is overwhelming but not absolutely difinitive. In the case of COPD, it is definitive. That alone is reason enough to ban smoking, while allowing the other behaviors you descibe to continue.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

There's a reason Phillip Morris & friends are still raking it in.

-Arrian
          And thus the single reason that smoking is still legal.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

No, for that you will have to review the cigarette tax revenue, PLATO. It's a cash cow for the government (or at least they see it that way). It's a tax they can all vote for and claim they're doing good twice over: see, we're closing that budget gap AND we're discouraging smoking! Hurray for us! Let's give ourselves raises, woohoo!

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
              Sorry to be so blatant in disagreeing with you, but you are wrong.
              Just saying I'm wrong doesn't make it true

Nicotine causes the platlets in your blood to become "sticky" and causes arterial blockage. While some people have a higher tolerence to this than others, there is anecdotal evidence that eventually you will have a blockage as the result of nicotine alone.
              I'm glad you included the word "anecodotal"... because that's all the "evidence" there is. Many things cause arterial blockage... but you are just picking on nicotine

Secondly, It is FACT that smoking will cause COPD given enough time.
              Now... is that "FACT" based on somebody who smokes 3 packs a day... or a person who may smoke 5 cigs a month or in a year???? There is no FACT that smoking a cig will certainly cause COPD. It depends on your body, and how much and how long you smoke...

There is a difference between a corelation that a behavior is unhealthy and the fact that a behavior WILL cause a disease. Your points are well taken, but they avoid the central point here. You are talking about "at risk" behaviors and I am talking about medical certainty.
              As I've said... it's NOT the medical certainty that you seem to be implying...

If it was just cancer or just heart disease, then you would have an argument. The evidence is overwhelming but not absolutely difinitive.
              It is highly "directional" but by no means overwhelming.
              Those diseases usually appear in heavy smokers, and not as much in light or social smokers...

In the case of COPD, it is definitive. That alone is reason enough to ban smoking, while allowing the other behaviors you descibe to continue.
              Again... COPD is not definitive in light and social smokers... Just as people who eat fast/fatty food occasionaly aren't at much risk... but those that do so all the time and don't exercise are at great risk.

There are statistics that PROVE you are more likely to hurt yourself if you drive a motorcyle without a helmet.

There are statistics that PROVE married men live longer than unmarried men (I guess you are advocating that all men MUST get married )

There are statistics that PROVE people who eat fatty foods and don't exercise are more likely to have heart problems...

Again... if you are going to use health as a reason... do it across the board.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Jesus H. Christ. That argument could apply to ANY RISKY BEHAVIOR, which is why most sane people stop short of it. We spread the risk. Yes, ultimately this means the person who eats right, excercises, doesn't drink, smoke, or use drugs, gets enough sleep, doesn't play high-impact sports, etc. will pay more because of fat, drunk smokers.

But there are very few such people who live in glassless houses.

-Arrian
                Ditto.

And I see your point about the "recently converted".
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

edit: I dunno if the full 6.50 is tax, though. Some of it could just be markup.

-Arrian
                  Not in my case. I buy from a retail establishment that doesn't collect/pay tax. They still get their markup.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I am converting right now... 5 weeks already...

Ban smoking !!!! (from my mind)
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Back on point:

It seems to me that the new SG report is basically a review and "meta-analysis" of past reports.

And, having done some admittedly quick investigation, it seems that the primary research upon which the case rests are the 1986 SG report, the 1993 EPA study, and latter of the major WHO studies... all of which have been seriously called into question or even discredited.

Am I missing something here?
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Immediate thought: "called into question" by whom, T? Tobacco company paid consultants?

Look, breathing in smoke (cigarette or not!) is bad for you. Duh. Second hand smoke is smoke you inhale w/o your consent.

It's simple: we are free to do was we wish until our freedom harms someone else (how loosely we define "harm" of course is an issue). Thus, reasonable restrictions to reduce exposure to 2nd hand smoke are really a no-brainer.

What people do to themselves, however, is different.

-Arrian

Comment

Immediate thought: "called into question" by whom, T? Tobacco company paid consultants?
                          Um, not sure about the first SG report, but if I understand correctly the EPA report was slammed by a federal judge (and not questioned by anyone above him), and the WHO report was in contradiction to their own previous work, as pointed out by the BBC and others.

Look, breathing in smoke (cigarette or not!) is bad for you. Duh. Second hand smoke is smoke you inhale w/o your consent.

It's simple: we are free to do was we wish until our freedom harms someone else (how loosely we define "harm" of course is an issue). Thus, reasonable restrictions to reduce exposure to 2nd hand smoke are really a no-brainer.
                          Agreed, that's the core of the issue. BUT, define "harm" and "reasonable".

I am not seeing where the evidence for harm from second hand smoke has been apolitically and scientifically validated. In the absence of that, it is pretty hard to discuss reasonable measures for public safety.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

We ban public nudity. Smoking is just as disgusting. (And yes, public nudity would be pretty disgusting for most people to practice.)

Comment

I have no problem with "no smoking" zones in public or government owned places, and I respect the right of others not to be bothered by second hand smoke.

However, I do have a problem with the government telling privately owned bars and clubs that they can't allow smoking... People who don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke don't have to enter if they don't want to. They aren't being forced to being exposed to second hand smoke. This doesn't infringe on their freedoms... they can choose to enter or not. However, the owners of these clubs and bars are having their freedom infringed. Smoking is not illegal (at least not yet)...
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

However, I do have a problem with the government telling privately owned bars and clubs that they can't allow smoking...

... or restaraunts?

There's virtually no other way to guarantee that we can stay smoke-free if we want; there's little incentive for a restaraunt to ban smoking on its own initiative.

Comment

Working...
                                X