Delay Gone But Legacy Remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay Gone But Legacy Remains

Seems SCOTUS agrees that Delay's gerryamndering in Texas was above board save one district.

Justices Back Most G.O.P. Changes to Texas Districts

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: June 28, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld most of the Texas congressional map engineered by former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay but threw out part, saying some of the new boundaries failed to protect minority voting rights.

The fractured decision was a small victory for Democratic and minority groups who accused Republicans of an unconstitutional power grab in drawing boundaries that booted four Democratic incumbents out of office.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, writing for the majority, said Hispanics do not have a chance to elect a candidate of their choosing under the plan.

Republicans picked up six Texas congressional seats two years ago, and the court's ruling does not seriously threaten those gains. Lawmakers, however, will have to adjust boundary lines to address the court's concerns.

At issue was the shifting of 100,000 Hispanics out of a district represented by a Republican incumbent and into a new, oddly shaped district. Foes of the plan had argued that that was an unconstitutional racial gerrymander under the Voting Rights Act, which protects minority voting rights.

On a different issue, the court ruled that state legislators may draw new maps as often as they like -- not just once a decade as Texas Democrats claimed. That means Democratic and Republican state lawmakers can push through new maps anytime there is a power shift at a state capital.

The Constitution says states must adjust their congressional district lines every 10 years to account for population shifts. In Texas the boundaries were redrawn twice after the 2000 census, first by a court, then by state lawmakers in a second round promoted by DeLay after Republicans took control.

That was acceptable, the justices said.

"We reject the statewide challenge to Texas redistricting as an unconstitutional political gerrymander," Kennedy wrote.

However, he said the state's redrawing of District 23 violated the Voting Rights Act.

The 2003 boundaries were approved by the state Legislature and its Republican majority newly elected with DeLay's help. In the next congressional elections, Republicans picked up six additional seats in the House. The contentious map drawing also contributed to the downfall of DeLay.

He was charged in state court with money laundering in connection with fundraising for legislative candidates. Although he is fighting the charges and maintains he is innocent, DeLay gave up his leadership post and then resigned from Congress.

After Texas decided to redraw its congressional district boundaries, two other states -- Colorado and Georgia -- also undertook a second round of redistricting.

"Some people are predicting a rash of mid-decade redistricting. I am skeptical," said Richard Hasen, an election law expert at Loyola Law School. "It would be seen as a power grab in a lot of places."
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

We need to fix our government.

It's borkened, obsolete, and inefficient. When crap like this starts happening, it's time for change. The government should be organized in such a manner where these types of shenanigans don't occur.

But it won't happen, so why am I wasting my time complaining about it?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, only one of the Congressional districts was declared illegal which just goes to show how politically motivated the SCOTUS has become. That any party can gerrymander and get away with it is wrong.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sava, why aren't you a partisan hack when Oerdin is? This doesn't make sense

Comment

This decision is a mess (legally, not on outcome). There is a jumble of opinions and the only link among them all is Justice Kennedy, who has taken 'swing vote' card from O'Conner.

From what I can gather, the bolded part above (on mid year redistricting) is not precendent, but rather dicta, because only Ginsburg & Souter joined Kennedy on it [Part II-D, btw]. Stevens seems to have accepted Part II A & III (which was on the specific districts), but against the redistricting plan in total, and Breyer joined him. Roberts & Alito agreed on the districts, but thought the gerrymandering claim had no standing. Scalia & Thomas thought the gerrymandering claim had no standing, but dissented with Kennedy on the districts.

So, to sum up (if I'm correct on all the above): It was 8-2 in favor of redrawing the one district and not redrawing the other (Scalia and Thomas in dissent). It was 8-2 (3 - for, 2 - against, 4 - there no standing) on whether the entire Texas redistricting plan could stand, but no majority on whether mid-year redistricting in general is ok.

For more reading (and to point out any errors I've made in my quick skim of the opinion):

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

snip
            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

It was 8-2 in favor of redrawing the one district and not redrawing the other

Aren't there only 9 justices on the Supreme Court?

It was 8-2 (3 - for, 2 - against, 4 - there no standing) on whether the entire Texas redistricting plan could stand

3 + 4 = 8?
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

7 to 2, whatever. The important part is the 2.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You sure it was 2 and not 1?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X