We need an amendment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need an amendment

against amendments banning flag burning. They're ****ing tools that do nothing but let the politicians distract the electorate from the fact that CONGRESS SUCKS.

The good news is that it failed, if by one vote. 3 Republicans joined 31 Dems to vote NO, including Republican Whip Mitch McConnell .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I just read that, which is what prompted the thread.

Win or lose, it still helps the politicians. In fact, it's best for them if it loses, because then they can bring it up next election.

Comment

Now that they've tried to ban gay marriage and ban flag burning, what do you think they'll go for to complete the trifecta? I'm betting they try to pass a doomed "ban abortion" amendment next.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'd just as soon they pass the ban so as to stop bringing this pointless non issue up over and over.

Comment

Last I heard, the only acceptable way to dispose of a dirty or torn flag was by fire. Have they changed this rule, or are these amender-wannabes trying to make everyone who desposes of a flag respectfully into a flag desacrator?

Comment

The roll call was crazy. McConnell and Bennett (conservative Republicans) voted against the Amendment, while Dayton and Stablenow (liberal Democrats) voted for it. In fact, Chafee was the only moderate Republican to vote against it (Snowe, Collins, Specter, etc. all voted for it). Huh.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

I bet they were just voting the cover their asses come November, whereas the ones who voted against it actually voted on principle.

Comment

Aren't you defending Congress in another thread right this moment? I'm confused. As per usual.

Comment

Geroge Bush Desecrates a Flag in 2003

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Damn still pretty scary the thing only failed by one vote. And in the Senate no less, they are supposed to be the rational house.
                      Last edited by OzzyKP; June 27, 2006, 20:58.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It only failed by one vote because a lot of people who would normally have voted "No" voted, voted "Yes" because they knew the amendment wouldn't pass and wanted to pander to dumb ****s in their home districts. Very rational from a certain point of view.

The really scary thing is, had it passed somehow, it probably would have been approved by all fifty states in record time.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Maybe tha'ts why McConnel and others voted no.

"Oh, you guys have pandered enough, now I gotta step in to make sure y'all don't do something stupid and pass this damn thing."
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

55% of the American public favor an amendment protecting the flag.

Comment

Working...
                              X