Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Democrats do something...intelligent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Democrats do something...intelligent?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A week after the GOP-led Senate rejected an increase to the minimum wage, Senate Democrats on Tuesday vowed to block pay raises for members of Congress until the minimum wage is increased.

"We're going to do anything it takes to stop the congressional pay raise this year, and we're not going to settle for this year alone," Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said at a Capitol news conference.

"They can play all the games the want," Reid said derisively of the Republicans who control the chamber. "They can deal with gay marriage, estate tax, flag burning, all these issues and avoid issues like the prices of gasoline, sending your kid to college. But we're going to do everything to stop the congressional pay raise."

The minimum wage is $5.15 an hour. Democrats want to raise it to $7.25. During the past nine years, as Democrats have tried unsuccessfully to increase the minimum wage, members of Congress have voted to give themselves pay raises -- technically "cost of living increases" -- totaling $31,600, or more than $15 an hour for a 40-hour week, 52 weeks a year, according to the Congressional Research Service.

In floor debate last week Republicans argued the raise for low-income workers would hurt small businesses. They offered an alternative measure to raise the minimum wage that was tied to tax breaks for small businesses.

The main proposal fell eight votes short of the 60 it needed to pass with 46 opposing; the alternative measure mustered only 45 votes in favor, while 53 senators opposed.

Reid wouldn't spell out the specific tactics he would employ to block the congressional pay raise -- which is triggered each year with the passage of an appropriations bill not by a vote on a stand alone bill to increase pay for members.

But he warned, "I know procedure's around here fairly well."
    Good move, I say. Its a one-two, with the possibility of a TKO in November.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Nothing but rhetorical hot air, thought fine hot air.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: The Democrats do something...intelligent?

From the article, no they haven't.

Comment

If the hot air leads to a wage increase, then I'm all for it.

If the GOP-led Congress passes it, it looks good for the Democrats who stood up to them to get it passed.

If the Democrats take Congress and they get it passed then, they look even better.
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Except for the fact that the minimum wage increase is stupid.

Comment

Right, because 5.15 an hour is SO much.

Comment

Actually that's about what I'm making (a little less than that).

It's because raising the minimum wage will on the whole make them worse off.

Comment

Harry Reid, one of the better things he's done since becoming minority leader. But he has changed since becoming minority leader. He used to not get into this partisan BS.

As for minimum wage. It's about time. Silly republicans will always come up with the argument "well why don't you just raise it to $20 an hour". That is just silly.

The economy has grown since the mid nineties (which is when the last increase happened I believe), and so has the cost of living. This affects mainly poor people and businesses employing poor people. Poor people will have more money to spend, and will be more likely to spend it on businesses that employ poor people such as fast food restaurants.

Comment

Right, because when China is eating us alive, raising the minimum wage is STUPID

BTW in Italy we never had such problems happening. Our government always approve wage rises for the politicians unanimously. Because 12,000 euros a month aren't enough.
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

So then we should lower it, to make them better off?

Comment

If they have money to spend for junk-food, they don't deserve any damn wage increase
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I'd bet that most of the people making minimum wage are already receiving some form of government assistance. This just shifts the burden of supporting them towards their employers and away from taxpayers - resulting in unemployment (not to mention harm to those businesses). The correct solution is increased welfare spending to support these people, because it's better for them to be at least working while they consume more resources than they produce than for them to not work at all and consume those same resources. (The alternative, letting people starve, is unconscionable.) Moreover, it allows people at the bottom to get a foot in the job market.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                          If they have money to spend for junk-food, they don't deserve any damn wage increase
                          some of them will actually use the money for college and worthwhile activities. Should they be denied these things?

But others will squander it away. And that's okay. Because this money will increase the business of the businesses that have to pay their employess more.

Comment

True. Poverty can be relieved by giving better services, as education and FREE HEALTHCARE, not the second car or the plasma TV screen

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Dis, you are missing the important fact that small businesses, seeing their wages rise will fire a few of their workers, which will offset any increase in sales due to the rest of their workers having more cash.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X