What the heck is Six Sigma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is Six Sigma?

From what I can tell it's just some buzz word for efficient. All the giant corporations which I have access to talk it up in employee communications. Does anyone else have to put up with this execuspeak?

In a related manner, I've seen ads for the new Six Sigma GI Joes. I wish they were CEOs and other executives, that would be much cooler than what they are.
    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
    New faces...Strange places,
    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

From what I can tell it's just some buzz word for efficient.
    yeah

6sigma actuall refers to a yeild of 99.99966%.

Six Sigma is a method, usually through a DMAIC process to help acheive this acceptance rate. In some cases it utilizes certain Toyota manufacturing processes like 5S.

In general, it's a statistical approach to process improvement and control.

(I was trained for SixSigma green belt, but never got the confirmation since my company stop making the product I did the project on)
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I have a related question to this. Is there different manufacturing processes for aerospace? Like 7 or 8 sigma or something? Or do you just design your plane to degrade gracefully given 6 sigmas?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

See, all that you just wrote, it doesn't make sense.

DMAIC? Manufacturing process? I work in an office, as do all the people that this message is intended for.

What are all these belts and why use all of this newspeak for simple concepts that have been used in business for ages? It seems like it was all made up by some middle-aged men with hardons for military/agressive terminology.
        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
        New faces...Strange places,
        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

mactbone: Another way of saying 6 sigma is that the acceptable failure rate is 6 standard deviations from the mean (on a normal distribution curve?).

The lower case sigma symbol -- σ -- is used in mathematical equations to mean standard deviation.
          Last edited by DanS; June 27, 2006, 15:11.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I thought this would be about physicists..

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

DMAIC stands for Define, Measure, Analysis, Improve, Control... each step has a bunch of statistical tools that help to best accomplish each phase.

Manufacturing process? I work in an office, as do all the people that this message is intended for.
              It can be applied to any process. I'm sure there are inefficiencies in your office.

What are all these belts and why use all of this newspeak for simple concepts that have been used in business for ages?
              The belts are just levels of mastery of the process, and yes it is a stupid way to grade them.

I have a related question to this. Is there different manufacturing processes for aerospace? Like 7 or 8 sigma or something? Or do you just design your plane to degrade gracefully given 6 sigmas?
              For critical manufacturing process you would have quality procedures that would most likely involve 100% inspection and testing. 6sigma is more likely to be applied where 3 rejects per million is an acceptable liability.

You may still have 100% inspection/testing in facilities that claim sixsigma, but only use it as a scrap reduction mechanism.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Six sigma is a huge scam. I'm a green belt and it is simply code speak for proper problem solving. In other words its a big money making racket for quality gurus and consultants.

That plus what Japher said.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

You may still have 100% inspection/testing in facilities that claim sixsigma, but only use it as a scrap reduction mechanism.
                  Got it. Thanks!

At least for orbital rocketry, I know that they have 100% inspection/testing. But I don't know for airplanes.

Comment

Six sigma is a huge scam. I'm a green belt and it is simply code speak for proper problem solving. In other words its a big money making racket for quality gurus and consultants.
                    That too.

I don't know for airplanes
                    For the critical components I know they do. They inspect them even after they are made, everytime the plane lands.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

What does that mean? I dunno. I haven't read the article yet.

I do know that the application of Six Sigma to the manufacturing process allowed the Japanese auto companies to far outperform their American counterparts early on; while the Japanese auto giants used them from the get go, the American companies didn't really start applying them until the 80s, by which point most of the damage to their marketshare was likely already done.
                      B♭3

Comment

It means you can use the internet!
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

I've got a black belt in google-fu.
                          B♭3

Comment

I've only got a yellow belt
                            but it allows me to find pics just as fast as Grandpa Troll
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

From the Wikipedia article, 6 sigma is really 4.5 standard deviations from the mean on a normal distribution curve.

Comment

Working...
                              X