Is Harry Potter's ass, grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaguar
    Oh, and why didn't someone make an Imran joke with that thread title?

(Possibly because the joke's rather stale, but whatever. )
    I set em up and no one takes the bait.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I figure this is a decent place for me to interject my thoughts on other authors and killing off characters.

R.A. Salvatore (who's come a long way, baby) cannot kill off any of his Forgotten Realms characters but frequently has every major character presume that another is dead. It got old real fast. OTOH, he killed off the major character from his Demon Saga series and turned another major character into the focus.

Raymond E. Feist kills of characters fairly easily but his Magician world seems to be the focus. Many of the central characters are descendants of each other.

Robert Jordan had a problem with expanding the role of every character but he wouldn't ignore or kill off his other characters (except villains but some have come back). Recently he has streamlined the novels to concentrate on certain characters.

I would imagine that it's really hard to kill of a successfull character if you care what the fans think or you're a money grubbing whore. I do have more respect for writers who can kill off their characters in meaningful ways and keep them dead. A lot of writers can't resist the temptation to bring back characters *cough* comics *cough*.
      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
      New faces...Strange places,
      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

removed.

-Arrian
        Last edited by Arrian; June 28, 2006, 09:44.
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by mactbone
          I figure this is a decent place for me to interject my thoughts on other authors and killing off characters.

R.A. Salvatore (who's come a long way, baby) cannot kill off any of his Forgotten Realms characters but frequently has every major character presume that another is dead. It got old real fast. OTOH, he killed off the major character from his Demon Saga series and turned another major character into the focus.

Raymond E. Feist kills of characters fairly easily but his Magician world seems to be the focus. Many of the central characters are descendants of each other.

Robert Jordan had a problem with expanding the role of every character but he wouldn't ignore or kill off his other characters (except villains but some have come back). Recently he has streamlined the novels to concentrate on certain characters.

I would imagine that it's really hard to kill of a successfull character if you care what the fans think or you're a money grubbing whore. I do have more respect for writers who can kill off their characters in meaningful ways and keep them dead. A lot of writers can't resist the temptation to bring back characters *cough* comics *cough*.
          George R. R. Martin

Comment

yeah, that is what I was thinking about

why read hacks? (OK, I did to, and still do.. but why complain about them?)

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

NO no! She can't kill off Harry. Kill Draco he's an incepid little git! Wouldn't mind seeing Snape offed either. Bet Ron get's the ax.
              Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
              Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
              Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
              You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                George R. R. Martin
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  Goddamnit. I'm now pissed I opened this thread. I've only just finished The Far Side of the World.

Arg!

-Arrian
                  Yeah, I was going to say something of that myself! There is a spoiler tag and that was out of bounds. You'd expect some spoilers about Harry Potter in an HP thread, but NOT another series!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                    NO no! She can't kill off Harry. Kill Draco he's an incepid little git! Wouldn't mind seeing Snape offed either. Bet Ron get's the ax.
                    Actually, Ron and Hermoine are about the only ones that I am sure don't die.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Right, right, sorry. Edited
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Arrian, you might want to edit your post too, so that the spoiler becomes entirely invisible to others now.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Actually, Ron and Hermoine are about the only ones that I am sure don't die.

JM
                          Yea, kill Harry and leave those two to make lots of cute babies.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Only two??

I'd have thought it'd be a lot more. You have the Order of the Phoenix battling the Death Eaters. Lots of these guys are going to have to go toes up to finish up the series.

[Pardon my spelling]: Beletrix McOnigal Crabb and Goyle not Rob but some of the older Weezlies Fudge Papa Malfoy maybe a couple of house elves and certainly Valdemort

Comment

@ Zkribbler's spelling.

Comment

Add civman2000 to the list. He might not be a major Harry Potter character, but there's still an empty spot in the graveyard.

Comment

Working...
                                X