Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the US the biggest threat to world peace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the US the biggest threat to world peace?

Originally posted by Lancer

People say the US is out for oil, but if we wanted the entire Persian Gulf there's nobody there to stop us and a strong friend, Israel, that would no doubt help us kick butt on their enemies. Just FYI
    Actually the existence of Canada refutes any claim that the US starts wars "just for oil". If oil was the ONLY motivation, they would have conquered Canada ages ago.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Well, we really should have. Now they're the only state we have to allow so much autonomy.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Well, we really should have. Now they're the only state we have to allow so much autonomy.
        I KNEW that would be your response and in a sense we have been economically "conquered " for years. Alberta is just as easy a place to do business as most of the United States and US corporations have leases for most of the best oilsands.

But we can sell oil to China if we want, something some of the more vehement proponents of price controls on oil tend to forget.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What's your definition of world peace, Whoha?
          There is no such thing as world peace, too many different people with too many different interests for it to be otherwise. and the only way to resolve that amounts to conquering the world and forcing everyone to believe as you do, not all that peaceful in retrospect.

Comment

Re: Re: Is the US the biggest threat to world peace?

Originally posted by Flubber

Actually the existence of Canada refutes any claim that the US starts wars "just for oil". If oil was the ONLY motivation, they would have conquered Canada ages ago.
            Didn´t they try sometimes during the 18th century but were beaten back by canadas mounties?
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Of course we are. Because when we go to war with a Middle-Eastern country and there are thousands of casualties on each side, that's of greater importance than when two African factions go to war and there are several million people killed. You see, because the US starts the most wars that we know of and/or care about, they are the biggest threat to world peace.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I believe US is the biggest threat, but I don't think it's their fault. Many nations can be seen as threats to world peace, but few have the firepower to actually do anything major. US has this firepower, and atleast the current regime doesn't have much qualms about using that power to further US agenda. And trigger for US agression seems somewhat lower than the rest of the world... Maybe because rest of the world fears US response, if they start stirring up ****, dunno. One has to consider, that while NK is run by dictator, they aren't actually doing much to threaten the world peace, all the while US and her allies are contemplating military options. Same for Iran, and Iraq before. Saddam had not been a threat to even local peace for ten years... And then the US started war.

I do believe this is a temporary situation, preserving peace at CONUS by starting wars abroad... But only because any administration after this has to see that this isn't the way to do things.

Erk, poop was cencored. I blame Bush.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Since the end of the Second World War, the US has intervened militarily in other countries more than the rest of the world combined. Does that count?
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Yeah. And those wânkers even intervened militarily in the Second World War itself! I mean, really.

Comment

I don't think the biggest threat to world peace would be any particular state. It's likely to be a movement or trend or development whose importance has not yet been recognized.

But in the broadest most general terms I would name economic instability as the greatest threat to world peace. If anything ever caused another global Great Depression, world peace would become quite tenuous.

Comment

I've seen some claims in another thread along these lines and it's so absurd in my view.

The US could be running the world right now, complete world domination. We were the only one with nukes at the end of WW2 and could have nuked out of existance any country that refused to submit and be occupied

Just FYI
                        That is an interesting scenario, wonder what that occupation would look like, given that occupying Iraq only has been such a fiasco.

Comment

The US could be running the world right now, complete world domination. We were the only one with nukes at the end of WW2 and could have nuked out of existance any country that refused to submit and be occupied
                          How would they bomb Moskou?

Put one on a train going that way?

Comment

Originally posted by realpolitic

That is an interesting scenario, wonder what that occupation would look like, given that occupying Iraq only has been such a fiasco.
                            it would look like the nazi occupations on the eastern front in ww2.

mostly pacified but devastated.

Comment

Originally posted by atawa

How would they bomb Moskou?

Put one on a train going that way?
                              high altitude bombers.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Is the US the biggest threat to world peace?

Originally posted by Geronimo

high altitude bombers.
                                To my knowledge they didnt have anything flying at that time capable of reaching Moskou or did they?

Comment

Working...
                                X